Wanted a redundant XP computer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not very happy with my new Windows 7 pro, I thought it was going to be XP compatible but my flying and railway simulators are not compatible and in the past I spent a lot of time on these two apps.

If anyone is going to buy a new w7 computer and they have a high spec XP please send me a PM. if they like.

What is the compatibility problem? I had a game (Age Of Empires) that ran fine under XP, but had all sorts of colour problems under W7. It was easily solved - kill windows explorer while running the app. Windows explorer is used as a shell for windows and does all sorts of 'clever' things. Apparently one of these clever things is doing odd things with the colour palette that confuses old programs......

Create a batch file with the contents:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
cd where your program is

start your program
Start explorer.exe

It is so simple it has got to be worth a try......

Microsoft flight sim X deluxe not compatible but Gold edition was.

Microsoft sidewinder force feed back 2 joystick stated as not compatible.

(Many add on for above.)

I estimate a cheapo joystick and new flight sim gold will cost me around £35 on Amazon but if anyone was chucking an XP computer out I would most probably prefer to use that. (the xp goes off support shortly so there should be some about)

devonwoody":20l3oguk said:
Microsoft flight sim X deluxe not compatible but Gold edition was.

Microsoft sidewinder force feed back 2 joystick stated as not compatible.

(Many add on for above.)

I estimate a cheapo joystick and new flight sim gold will cost me around £35 on Amazon but if anyone was chucking an XP computer out I would most probably prefer to use that. (the xp goes off support shortly so there should be some about)

Ahh, that kind of incompatibility - the 'poor old microsoft desperately needs more of your hard earned cash' sort. Shame.

Of course (as always) there are alternatives. Perhaps something to think about is modifying your machine to dual boot - i.e choose when you start up to run either XP or W7. Have a look at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dua ... r-with-xp/ to get an idea of what I'm talking about. That way all hardware and software that is XP compatible will work - providing you have the necessary sockets on the new computer.

Misterfish

I have investigted that route, but my computer supplier says my quad processor and motherboard will not permit an xp boot up. (although he knew I wanted full xp capabilities, but I cannot now close the stable door)

A lot of computer recycling projects turn out refurbished xp comuters. If you are anywhere near Carlisle I know a good one run by disabled people.

Tom

Edit: just read your profile, you couldn't be much further!!

I have just got another laptop and it has Windows 7 on it. I was worried about running my old programs that I used on XP but it handles them all. My friend and computer guru just clicked on something for each program which stated run as XP and it did. One of my programs is of 1990 vintage too?! I am not sure what he clicked on but can find out for you.

Thanks, I have switched on my printer and printing out the instructions. Many programs will not let me proceed when inserting setup disk, so will let you know how I get on.

devonwoody":34zy8jia said:
I have investigted that route, but my computer supplier says my quad processor and motherboard will not permit an xp boot up. (although he knew I wanted full xp capabilities, but I cannot now close the stable door)

Intriguing - what motherboard and processor has been installed? Of course there may be no XP drivers for the graphics card.

Misterfish

misterfish":fj43crvd said:
devonwoody":fj43crvd said:

Intriguing - what motherboard and processor has been installed? Of course there may be no XP drivers for the graphics card.

Misterfish

Printed out the link MTE and never got past the first instruction,

I do not get an option to choose "not listed"

Motherboard is Gigabyte 970A-D3.

Processor AMD FX 4100 4 core 3.6 ghz.

Well... just a quick look at the UK Gigabyte website and the support page for the MB shows the supported operating systems as "Support for Microsoft Windows 7/ Vista/ XP"

As for the processor one of the descriptions states "The AMD FX Processors are designed to be compatible with Windows® 7, Windows Vista® Home Basic, Windows Vista® Business, Windows Vista® Enterprise, Windows Professional, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, Windows® XP Media Center Edition, Linux®, and other PC operating systems"

Maybe your system builder made a mistake. It's just a lot less hassle to be able to use one computer to do what you want rather than be piled up with extra equipment!

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back