Waney Edge Walnut and other slabs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning! I have been scratching around everywhere to find some reasonably priced (i.e not what you have to pay on ebay or etsy) walnut or other wood slabs for coffee/dining tables. Does anyone have any reasonable suppliers? I am based in Yorkshire but can travel.

Thanks in advance!

Are there any small independent sawmills near you, personally I use a local one, he only deals in native timber but has lovely waney edge planks at reasonable prices though they usually need a little more seasoning, might be worth a Google search

Good morning! I have been scratching around everywhere to find some reasonably priced (i.e not what you have to pay on ebay or etsy) walnut or other wood slabs for coffee/dining tables. Does anyone have any reasonable suppliers? I am based in Yorkshire but can travel.

Thanks in advance!

British hardwoods is worth a visit (not sure how open they are at the moment). The website won't show you what they have.

But they probably don't have much (if any) wayney walnut. They do get some nice and interesting native timbers in there though.

Duffield also get good reports. I haven't visited, may be worth a phone call to see what they do.

For dining table slabs of walnut you are going to have to pay. I would be more interested in finding a good place that knows what they are doing than trying to find the cheapest possible example. Personal opinion, but I think the hidden gems are brown oak and elm which may be a bit easier to source and are beautiful. They are also much rarer in the shops, I could go to Argos and get "walnut" furniture (I know that it isn't) but tiger oak, brown oak etc no chance! To get those the furniture has to be hand made.

Is that British Hardwoods in Keighley? I did visit them a few weeks back, they did have some good stuff but not a huge range and a bit on the expensive size. The person there was throwing prices at me faster than I could think and it all felt a bit dodgy haha, it was a bit like "i'll make you a call and get you a better price innit" so i politely declined and left. I hear the owner Joe is great though so might get on better if he was there.

I use Duffield a lot for my hardwood, they dont have big waney edge stocks. The local sawmill option is a good shout, i will call around a bit.

Yes, Keighley. Did you have a look in the showroom (by the right hand side of the door)? Bits up there are usually priced and you can wander through at your leisure. Not a huge range though.

Have you found a good sawmill around here?

Not spoken to anyone yet but there is a few around by the looks, it's a shame nidd valley saw mills closed down because they were good for slabs, uses to go buy full length slabs of sycamore for turning at very good price.

British hardwoods is worth a visit (not sure how open they are at the moment). The website won't show you what they have.

But they probably don't have much (if any) wayney walnut. They do get some nice and interesting native timbers in there though.

Duffield also get good reports. I haven't visited, may be worth a phone call to see what they do.

For dining table slabs of walnut you are going to have to pay. I would be more interested in finding a good place that knows what they are doing than trying to find the cheapest possible example. Personal opinion, but I think the hidden gems are brown oak and elm which may be a bit easier to source and are beautiful. They are also much rarer in the shops, I could go to Argos and get "walnut" furniture (I know that it isn't) but tiger oak, brown oak etc no chance! To get those the furniture has to be hand made.
You beat me to the brown oak suggestion. I made a visit to my local supplier looking for walnut and left with some brown oak. Very nice timber with good character.

Back