Walnut lidded form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This form is made of English Walnut. It has an Anjan lid and carved finial with bead.

It measures 240 mm dia x 180mm high.

It has been finished in a new Microcrystline wax.

There is a bit of light reflection on the left side which detracts from it a bit, that is the problem with a high shine finish. However this can be over come with diffused light using a light box/tent. umm I must buy one.

Take care

STA71180edsmall.jpg

I knew this was yours before i even saw the author.

Very nice - looks a fantastic bit of wood in use, but a little wide throwing the proportions off a little ? ( listen to me ! )

If you bash it a little and add the verdigras i think i'd like it more ! LOL

All the best

Laurence

Hi Loz

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: your comments made me chuckle. Your not changing to the dark side are you, :lol: :lol: I thought I should post something that looks like wood for a change before I get send a black spot in the post, :lol: :lol:

You are right about the form, however I have changed the pic as I think I took the last one too low down and too close to the shoulder.

Excuses, :lol:. But it is a bit wide as I was being tight with the wood. IE trying to get as much out of it as I could and broke one of my main rules, which is. Never sacrifice form for the wood. I tried to save as much wood as I could and think I made it a bit hard on the shoulder.

Thank you for your comments. I very much appreciate your honesty. I con not progress if I don't get honest critique.

I might set fire to it and bash it a bit, don;t know yet. :lol: :lol: not really.

Take care

Hi Pete

Thank you.

I use Kelton hollower's for the hollowing. The wood was seasoned however I still rough turn and allow it to settle as of the require fit for the lid.

I generally will rough turn end grain leaving 8 % wall thickness with the pith aligned and concentric rings.

However this is a cross grain piece. It was so dry that it hardly moved at all. But if it was wet I would treat it the same as turning a cross grain wet bowl. Rough out leaving the wall thickness 10-15% of the dia and season. Then finish turn.

Hope this helps.

Very nice Mark :D
I like the form and the lid/finial,which looks to be a little delicate looking at it from this angle,and nicely proportioned.
I also like the black line that seperates the heart and sap wood.Looks like two seperate woods laminated together,giving a nice contrast.
What is the new wax.Is it applied direct to the bear wood,and what are your thoughts with it compared to other waxes :?:

I CAN SEE WOOD :lol:

Lovely as always. I suspect that it would look a lot different in the flesh, the graining probably makes it look wider than it is. It is a lovely piece for all that, no more than I have come to expect from you Mark. Very much your signature pieces these aren't they?

pete

Love it, as ussual. The grain pattern is stunning. Walnut is one of my faves.

Beautiful Mark, as usual. Its a funny old angle for the photo though. It would be nice to see a bit more of the piece from a higher angle.

BTW, I reckon you have a tiny flat-spot on the LHS of your signature finial piece.......or it could be that I've been staring at this damn screen for 8 hours now and can't see a thing!!

Mike

HI all

Paul

Thank you. I was lucky with the wood. It was given to me by a friend so I was doubly lucky as it cost nowt.

Pete

Thank you, yes they are my signature pieces, but I do enjoy very much my newer work now as it takes a lot longer and gives me time to relax.

Wizer

Thank you. I like walnut very much too but it is something that I do not turn very often. I have some more seasoned ready to paint. I mean finish. :lol:

Mike

Thanks mate, you scarred the life out of me, :lol: no it is not a flat but the pic. I had to look when you posted this just to make sure. But I will look at it again in the daylight for sure.

I like to take my pictures lower down to show the base form. But I will take another tomorrow from a higher angle so you can see it more from the top.,

Thank you all again

Fantastic shape - no sacrifice of form to my eyes, a beautiful shape for a beautiful piece of wood.

The design makes me want to hold it in both hands and feel its smooth lines... (I think I need to go and lie down now... :shock: )

Hi Mark,

I can only echo the previous compliments, the finial on this one looks particularly delicate.

If I have a tiny niggle, and it really is only nitpicking, the lid looks a little narrow in comparison to the form to my eye... although it may only be 'in the photo' rather than the 'real thing'. Alternatively it could be I've been over influenced by the 'rule' of thirds! :lol:

Another inspiring piece for us amateurs.

Neil.

Beautiful. However if you insist on burning it ,right now in Alberta it is -15C with wind and snow and we can use all the firewood we can get so I would even pay the freight and ,oh well I tried!

Ad

Thank you very much.

Roy

Thank you, I am glad you were talking about the form, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Neil

Thank you very much. Lol possibly a bit small, yes the rule of thirds, :lol: :lol: , ( notice I said possibly :lol: :lol: :lol: ) The rule can be broken but is a good foundation to start from.

Thank you for your comments.

laird

Thank you very much

dennisk

Thank you very much.:lol:, sounds cold over there, trust me I have burned a fair few of these myself when they have gone wrong. The burn really well, :lol:

Thank you all again.

Hi Mark,

Another beautiful signature piece. While the proportions are different to your normal forms I think it still stands on its own merits. The form still flows very well, the execution is outstanding and the wood is beautiful with a distinctive grain pattern. I like the colour of the finial, I think this works better than the black you often use.

Regards,

Mike C

Walnut is often described as the king of the u.k Woods- this piece mark has made certainly makes the most of it and shows it of to its full potential.
another excellent piece.

HI Mike

Thank you for your comments. I too am warming to this colour of finial, which is good as it gets rid of an ebonising process.

George

Thank you, very much. I have not turned much walnut but it certainly is a beautiful wood.

Thanks again guys

Back