Walnut Hall Table - WIP (long one with pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first major piece i have begun to make which will utilise the machinery i now have. Upto now i have mainly been working on smaller projects like boxes and the like. I thought it was about time i upscaled my work.

The project is a hall table made from american black walnut with a walnut burr veneer top. I have designed it to be reletively high and narrow so as not so as not to be to obtrusive but high enough for things to be easily reached at waist hight and save bending down if need be.

I am planning on making a number of pieces for me to use as a kind of portfolio for when i leave college, i hope to start a business with brother.

The initial design was to use maple with a birds eye maple veneer for the top but i chose to use walnut instead.

214a095d.jpg

hall-table-colour-copy.jpg

hall-table-technical-copy.jpg

I have attempted to show WIP pics but they often quite sporadic as i started something only to remember to photograph it after the deed was done sometimes, the quality is not great either. i shall begin...

I started by machining up the timber i had, it was a mixture of 32mm and 38mm boards.

HallTableProject002.jpg

It was good to see the extractor working effiecently even if it did mean some regular bag changing.

HallTableProject003.jpg

Once i had machined an accurate face and edge on the 38mm timber, which was for the legs. i began lamination. I hadn't done this before, next time i think i would do the glue up in pairs as opposed to all at the same time.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/b ... ect005.jpg

These are the laminated leg blanks ready to be thinknessed to the right dimensions.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/b ... ect006.jpg

Next i marked up to cut off the excess length on the blanks but still leaving me with 10mm extra. For this job i brought out the new CMT crosscut blade i got for christmas. Up until then i have been using the general purpose scheppach blade which came with the saw. I couldn't believe the finish, really crisp.

HallTableProject008.jpg

The next job was to get rid of all the planer marks left on the pieces of timber.

HallTableProject010.jpg

I had to now mark out for the mortices using my standard crown mortice gauge. I took my time here, i welcomed the peace and quiet. I set up up the correct depths and did a few testers on the morticer and commenced the mortice munching.

HallTableProject012.jpg

The mortices were clean but did require a little cleaning at the bottoms

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/b ... ect013.jpg

The next job was to begin the tenons.

HallTableProject015.jpg

HallTableProject014.jpg

I cut the notches in the tenon's using a tenon and coping saw, i did a bit of cleaning with the chisel.

HallTableProject025.jpg

HallTableProject022.jpg

For the design of my top to work i had to 45 degree notches in the tops of the legs, the photos will probably show it better than how i explaine it.

HallTableProject017.jpg

HallTableProject019.jpg

HallTableProject026.jpg

With these notches cut i was able to glue up the main pieces

HallTableProjects001.jpg

HallTableProjects005.jpg

I am at the stage now where i am cutting the ends of the top pieces at the right angles for them to fit into the notches like this.

HallTableProjects002.jpg

HallTableProjects003.jpg

HallTableProjects004.jpg

I have left the extra length for when i round over the top corners.

Sorry for the length and lack of any real detail. please feel free to querie and comment.

regards
b_h

Looking good - and looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Re planer marks - I don't think you should be getting such prononounced roller marks - I rarely have to do anything to timber off my EB pretty basic PT and I know (now) that the finish on this isn't as good as some others.

Cheers

Tim

Hi b_h

It's looking really good. Thank you for taking the time and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished job.

Do you have a good, cheap, source for walnut?

bad_hypertension":2cjzdz5z said:
The next job was to get rid of all the planer marks left on the pieces of timber.

Tim is correct. I have the Jet jointer and, mostly, I get a finish without any marks at all.

Cheers
Neil

Guys, he just wants an excuse to use his lovely Jack plane :wink: Leave him alone :lol:
Seriously, I really like where this one is going. Well done BH, look forward to seeing the end result.
Cheers
Philly :D

This is looking really promising. I like it already.
Thanks for showing us :D

Can't wait to see the next steps now :?

b_h,
Thanks very much for posting the WIP photos - it's always intriguing to imagine how it's going to turn out when you see it half done. I look forward to the next installment!

Lovely work HP, particulalry like the acurate hand tool work and those tenons - tis' so relaxing and enjoyable after a bit of time wth the machines :D

hi all
i shall keep you all in the loop
I might look into a glass top, it would be easier than veneering a reletivley large panel and would maybe cost the same as the veneer.
the walnut was from sl hardwoods and cost around £130, with some extra pieces spare.(i thought my calculation were spot on :roll: )

Next time i think i will go to the local timber supplier, for me it's wests, and look before i buy. i prefer the idea of getting exactly what i want (thats not to say i didn't from sl hardwoods), it's probably good practise that way anyway.

In terms of planer marks i am probably taking either too little or too much. The thicknesser at college can take 5mm off easy and leave a glassy finish but always forget whether its best to take small or bigger passes on the smaller home machines.

hp its looking good ,take less off with the planner as you get down to the final thickness that you want ,what i do on the last cut is put the piece back threw with out moving the adjuster

frank

Wow... You don't see many hand-cut tenons these days! But then, you do mention you're at college also - which course are you doing?

I'd like to see Norm try it some time, it looked as if he was getting into the spirit of things during the last series... :wink:

As for planing, once I've reached my finishing dimension I then flip the work piece over and clean the opposing face/edge without adjusting a thing. To be honest, I don't like to take off more than 2mm a time anyway. At college, however, it's always a different matter entirely! :D

The project seems to be going along nicely, it also makes a nice change to see some plans included with the WIP shots. Brilliant.

You must be a cabinet/furniture maker then...
I'm a carpenter (no, joiner...!) and I'm also looking to fill up a folder over time. I may well go back to college after I've finished this final year and get a qualification in cabinet making also. It's a shame there's no woodturning course though. :(

I love these step by step photos of projects. Its great to see the work come together.

Its looking good.

Latest posts

Back