Walnut candle holder (Finished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I was scratching about for a quick and easy present. Candle holders are good - espcially when the recipient like hosting dinner parties....

I dug out a piece of walnut from the scraps box. Id planned to make a holder a bit like a "rainbow" shape, but flatter. However the piece already had a curve, and a angled end and this set me thinking. If I cut a matching angle at the other end, and trimmed the curve slightly, it might make a nice shape.

I started by drawing out the holes - I decided this was too far apart.

52873526.jpg

I measured the angle.

52873527.jpg

Transferred the angle onto the table saw...

52873529.jpg

The curve wasn't correct, so I had to recut it.

52873528.jpg

I clamped it up ready for cleaning up with the spokeshaves...

52873530.jpg

I've run a rounding over cutter round the sides... and now am marking with a centre punch...

52873531.jpg

Making the cuts - 40mm

52873532.jpg

Noticed it wobbled - should have done this at the start :cry: . Anyway, couple of swipes with a jointer...

52873533.jpg

Quick sand....

52873534.jpg

This is something I picked up from Chris (Waterhead37), cleaning items with a air blower. It works really well.

52873536.jpg

Danish oil...

52873537.jpg

The grain has come out lovely....

52873538.jpg

Back in the house putting some beeswax on...

52873546.jpg

Homemade beeswax candles as well!

52873544.jpg

52873543.jpg

Adam

Really nice Adam, I'm almost certainly going to steal that idea! :twisted: :wink:

Hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea as well - looks like it may solve some present problems for Xmas :D

Now I have some beeswax (thanks Adam) I just might give that ago as well - although cutting the curve like that by hand should be fun, oh and I don't have any spoke shaves either so a lot more sanding will be required.

Andy

dedee":348yf1wb said:
Now I have some beeswax (thanks Adam) I just might give that ago as well - although cutting the curve like that by hand should be fun, oh and I don't have any spoke shaves either so a lot more sanding will be required.

Andy

What about scrapers?

WiZeR":1n1gk3gz said:
dedee":1n1gk3gz said:

Andy

What about scrapers?

Yes indeed but I already have some of those :wink:

Andy

I like this project very much. It may be simple, but it's nonetheless desirable.

Gill

Gill":323213ug said:
I like this project very much. It may be simple, but it's nonetheless desirable.

Gill

Thankyou all for the kind words.

Adam

Lovely. I particularly like the fact that the candles are from your own beeswax too

Latest posts

Back