Walnut Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Tiddles. I especially like the hidden and secretive compartments...very cunning 8) Something I'm going to be looking at in much greater detail later on - Rob

Seriously! I realise I am probably being a complete numpty and missing something obvious, but please enlighten me! I keep looking back through the photos to see what it is I am missing!

condeesteso":2aswntio said:
very good work, nice to see the various techniques. One question... Ian, hinges?? more info please.
That'll be Ian Hawthorne, box maker extroirdinaire and purveyor of fine hinges! Also a member here.

Aidan, it's really nice, despite the lid problem (which I couldn't fathom either, incidentally).

I'm also struggling to understand that bottom drawer mechanism: I get the secret drawer and magnet arrangements, but how did you arrange for the bottom drawer to be stopped in place - is it simply that it catches on the back edge of the fall-front, or is there something else? It doesn't look like the runners are involved, but have I misunderstood it?

Cheers, E.

PS: I like the approach to filling voids in the veneer, too.

Eric The Viking":2o7hlfm3 said:
Aidan, it's really nice, despite the lid problem (which I couldn't fathom either, incidentally).

I'm also struggling to understand that bottom drawer mechanism: I get the secret drawer and magnet arrangements, but how did you arrange for the bottom drawer to be stopped in place - is it simply that it catches on the back edge of the fall-front, or is there something else? It doesn't look like the runners are involved, but have I misunderstood it?

Cheers, E.

PS: I like the approach to filling voids in the veneer, too.

The pivot point for the fall front is not where I calculated it to be, therefore when the front is down there is more material above the pivot than I intended, fouling the bottom drawer motion and stopping it from opening, it's what you get for not doing a proper design before cutting wood.

What's the lid problem? I thought it was ok! :lol:

Aidab

There probably isn't one (lid problem)! I was referring to your picture of it on the tablesaw and the fuming you described!

I assume that was the fall-front thickness thing.

I appreciate your frustration, but please appreciate mine -- presently I can only look at your sort of WIP and dream!

It still looks gorgeous!

E.

Hi Aidan

Exceptional work mate. It's a beaut!

Tom

Back