Wall Tool Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have in your workshop one of those large wall boards with holes in--often seen on video clips- so you can hang up your woodwork tools? Where to buy the hooks if needed?
Done a bit of web search but not yet found where to buy. I have bought 3 small'ish metal boards from Amazon but not found them brilliant--lf not careful the hooks fall out.

Can you recommend a good chisel holder?--or make one?

Many thanks.

Well, yes and no... I have various bits of salvaged blockboard and plywood screwed to the wall. Tools hang on carefully positioned nails, screws or hooks. A pair of thin battens separated by small blocks make a long slot for chisels. Others go in slots cut in a shallow horizontal board.

It's all made to fit the space and the tools and cost me nothing.

I'm with Andy on this, I've got a big tin of odds and ends (actually multiple big tins) like recovered screws, nails and ancient hooks and use them. Its not pretty, but you can get more in because you fit to the tool rather than fit to a pre-set hole pitch.

But - if you search for pegboard hooks or pegboard accessories you get loads of results. For example, Amazon has several varieties.

Just carry on until the walls, drawers and cupboards are all full. Works for me ;)

I keep mine in the toolchest, I am not a big fan of the tool wall because of dust, it'd be much worse if you do a lot of machining which I don't do much of, even with handtools only woodworking you'll still get dust and have to clean it quite regularly, it becomes a chore, so cupboards, wall cabinets and toolchests are all good.

thetyreman":355n7359 said:
I keep mine in the toolchest, I am not a big fan of the tool wall because of dust, it'd be much worse if you do a lot of machining which I don't do much of, even with handtools only woodworking you'll still get dust and have to clean it quite regularly, it becomes a chore, so cupboards, wall cabinets and toolchests are all good.

Heaven forbid wood working tools get a little dusty

I have spent a few hours during lockdown to work out the following:
1)Which tools are ‘out’ and used regularly so don’t get dusty. Make sure these are accessible.
2) Which tool are ‘out’ and get dusty, these have been put in cupboards and drawers.
3) Which tools I keep having to rummage to find regularly, these now have a specific place that is easily accessible.
4) Which tools are not easily accessible, and I don’t use much (or at all), these have gone to longer-term storage e.g. attic or shed.

Essentially I now have a ‘tool wall’ that just has measurement devices and PPE as these are the only things that are constantly in use across all projects.

As to how to hang things, Wilko have a ‘pick and mix’ hardware section where you fill a bag for a price, so I stocked up on several types of hooks and rings, ant the laid all the tools out on a board and then worked out what size hook was needed.

I like having a tool wall behind my bench for tools I use regularly, it means those tools are easily accessible & also quick to put back so keeping my bench as clutter free as possible when working, I have quite a few cupboards for storage but couldn’t be bothered packing & unpacking planes, chisels etc all the while.

Mine simply consists of pine planks screwed to bearers on the wall with shelves made to fit the tools cantilevered between the planks, I built it about ten years ago & it really works well.
I’ve altered the shelves over the years but the design makes this very simple to do & as the shelves are easily moved I can reconfigure the set up easily. I added drawers to the base a couple years of years ago for storing smaller bits & pieces I use regularly this has been a great addition.

5E6B4C7D-2D1C-438C-9238-11D3E1AB1C72.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E6B4C7D-2D1C-438C-9238-11D3E1AB1C72.jpeg
    5E6B4C7D-2D1C-438C-9238-11D3E1AB1C72.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 189
My cobbled together wall board made from an 8x4 sheet of 3/4" blockboard, which tells you how old it is, & adapted to take different tools over the years.

Shed Storage 1.jpg

The storage drawers are a boon to family & friends who want the odd screw or bolt especially after 4pm on a Sunday when tool stores are shut.

Shed Storage 2.jpg

Shed Storage 3.jpg

Attachments

• Shed Storage 1.jpg
    Shed Storage 1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Shed Storage 2.jpg
    Shed Storage 2.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Shed Storage 3.jpg
    Shed Storage 3.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 187
I have plywood screwed to the wall and then I use nails to hang tools, works well for me and is easy to re-arrange if needed. Rarely used tools are kept in boxes and drawers but the common ones are on the wall ready to use.

Another magnetic bar user here. Great wee things that keep smallish things close to hand and easy to grab. I have mine under a shelf which helps keep some dust away too.

On the subject of shelves, I've found the outer edges a great place to store things. When I threw mine up I lipped them with 2x1 batons as that's what I had. This created an overhang which turned out to be very handy.

I started off drilling in 20mm holes to store dogs. I then needed to move things around and made some MDF strips with holes for dogs:

f679affe1eff427c0b2d02599ec258d3.jpg

Getting fed up with hunting for hex and Torx l-keys, I drilled holes going through the overhang to house them:

d33545e949a8322846591857319d999d.jpg

Over several evenings during lockdown I appear to have amassed a collection of screwdrivers which are now housed in the edges too:

58ec46d96b28c0476578f9a136041fdb.jpg

There was even room to mount a hidden heavy duty plug bank under a shelf. Handy.

One other idea I saw somewhere and dutifully pinched was using twinslot as a means to route my hose around as needed. This has proven great for keeping it up and away from snaggy edges:

6740fa68f73d6065f308e3a7c296f541.jpg

This is all in a 10x4' shed that you wouldn't leave planes and chisels in; unless you liked brown ones. It's days are numbered when I can afford it.

Latest posts

Back