Wall plate sourcing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinLycett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need to replace a 5m x 240mm x 100mm wall plate on a 150yr old outbuilding (stone walls slate roof). Any thoughts on sourcing such a beast, or alternative ways to skin this cat? I’m in West Yorkshire if anyone knows any suppliers. Google draws a blank! Cheers.
DCD40A09-F6EB-43A0-93BA-F6C4977870AC.jpeg

I think you're in danger of way over-engineering it.

Is the existing timber softwood or hardwood?

I'd be tempted to use treated sawn carcassing timber, two or three pieces of 4 X 2 on edge, bolted together from the inside with a few coach bolts perhaps just skew-nailed. I think it would be worth sitting the timber on a bit of DPM and probably painting it. I'd use the same 4 X 2 to replace the rafters.

Standard wall plate is 75 x100 mm treated and widely available. If you need a lintel use steel under the wall plate or a timber lintel. You can get treated sleepers at 2.4 or 3.0 m in 125 x 300 mm from garden centers or builders merchant

I think you're in danger of way over-engineering it.

Is the existing timber softwood or hardwood?

I'd be tempted to use treated sawn carcassing timber, two or three pieces of 4 X 2 on edge, bolted together from the inside with a few coach bolts perhaps just skew-nailed. I think it would be worth sitting the timber on a bit of DPM and probably painting it. I'd use the same 4 X 2 to replace the rafters.
I know nothing about wall plates, or roofs. The measurements I gave are of the one I’m replacing. I assumed I’d have to replace like for like?

I know nothing about wall plates, or roofs. The measurements I gave are of the one I’m replacing. I assumed I’d have to replace like for like?
Is it really 5m width??
Looks less?
Where abouts are you in West Yorkshire?

There are places locally who machine local timber larch oak etc.

Cheers James

A wall plate doesn't need any strength as it is fully supported either by cement bed or studs if it's timber frame. The wall plate needs to be fixed down to stop it being pushed off the wall, either use bent straps nailed to it and then screwed to wall or use frame fixings down into the wall. 3x4" is the standard as it is the same size as a brick wall and gives a good fixing for nails. There's no need to copy the original 4x10".

That's very wide normally a wall plate rests on the inner left of the cavity wall?

200x 100 would be much cheaper as would 4.8m?

In in Baildon btw.

Cheers James

You'll probably find that the wall plate in this case is acting to support the roof over the opening. This is neither brickwork or a cavity wall, so modern construction methods don't apply.

You'll probably find that the wall plate in this case is acting to support the roof over the opening. This is neither brickwork or a cavity wall, so modern construction methods don't apply.
So should it be full width of stone wall I.e 240mm or is a narrower width as others suggest OK?

Normally they are pretty wide, 8"+ is not uncommon and the ends of the rafters sit across the whole width.

Is there also a purlin supporting the rafters and spanning across the building at half height ?

Narrower will be fine 200mm would be more than adequate.

Somewhere like dragon reclamation or Leeds wood recycling might have something reasonably priced?

Cheers James

The birds mouth on the rafter will typically be 50-70 mm for a low pitch roof like that so there's really no point having a wide wall plate if you're only bearing on part of it.

Standard wall plate is 75 x100 mm treated and widely available. If you need a lintel use steel under the wall plate or a timber lintel. You can get treated sleepers at 2.4 or 3.0 m in 125 x 300 mm from garden centers or builders merchant
There is only the one timber (which I’m referring to as the wall plate) so maybe it’s both acting as a wall plate and a lintel for the two doors?

Normally they are pretty wide, 8"+ is not uncommon and the ends of the rafters sit across the whole width.

Is there also a purlin supporting the rafters and spanning across the building at half height ?
There’s this massive timber at halfway (looking from doorway to back of building), is that a purlin?

Attachments

• 8B4363F9-17B2-4E45-AA3F-A0B4FB0A22A4.jpeg
    8B4363F9-17B2-4E45-AA3F-A0B4FB0A22A4.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back