Wall Mounted Sliding Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody out there got any experience with a wall mounted sliding saw (think thats the right name) for cutting wood to big for the table saw?

I note that Axminster has one on display at about 1600 pounds (no pound sign on this computer) but never having used one before its a lot to fork out without getting real advice.

I have table saw, mitre saw, various hand held power saws, even got some of the old ones you push and pull.

Any idea what the real advantage of the wall saw would be and would it be a space saver against the table saw?

Waka

Waka,

Wall saws are really just for sheet goods. The advantage is you don't have to man-handle said sheets over a table saw for crosscuts, you just sit it on the framework and take the saw across the sheet. On the other hand you can't do a cut along the length of the sheet without moving it through the saw, which ain't so good. Using some kind of support for the sheets on trestles, be it a framework or sacrificial board, and then using a circular saw and straight edge is a lot easier to my mind, but space intensive. The Festool is a nice bit of kit, and if I had the money... but I don't, so I make do with a Hitachi circular saw and some homemade straight edges. Works fine. You could make a wall saw of course. GWW recently had an article on that and there's one here.

Cheers, Alf

Did you see the article in Good Woodworking -thinkit was last months issue. It shows you how to build your own wall mounted panel saw as well as reviewing the Jet panel saw.
Hope this is of help,
Philly

I have never found a need for cutting large sheets,I get the woodyard to cut them for me. If you make a cutting plan for the larger pieces it is easy to fit them in your car.Even B&Q will do 4 free cuts per sheet.

All

Thanks for your advice on this topic. I must be living in the dark ages because I haven't come across festool before.

I reviewed the write up and was very impressed, just the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Time now to browse the festool website.

Waka

Waka":1p3mloca said:
Time now to browse the festool website.

Waka

I hope you have a well padded wallet then. Most people only 'aspire' to Festool!

Adam

Still it's a lot cheaper than the 1600 of a panel saw, and a lot more versatile.

Could even be described as a "bargain" then? :shock:
Adam

Ah yes, good point, Adam.

In that case Waka, should you decide to buy a spare, being so cheap and all, and then find you don't need it, I offer a painless and free re-homing service :D

Cheers, Alf

I cut plywood sheets (3/4")nearly every day. I have an ElectraBekum PKF255 table saw with sliding table (£1300 including EB dust extractor), theoretically I could crosscut the whole sheet on the saw but I would need an assistant. What I do now is I have four sawhorses, and lay the sheet down on that. I work out the best way to cut the sheet and mark it out, allowing about 5mm extra in each dimension. Then I get my new Makita jigsaw (£110) that came with blades that the first few teeth point down and the rest point up and cut to the line with very little breakout. Then I trim up to exact size on the sliding table.

I thought about a wall saw but they are only any good for full width or full length cuts, and would be very wasteful for me.

John

Thanks all, for the responses and details of home made wall saws, very useful.

As to the comments about the price of Festool, I like most will have to save the pennies, but when compared with a shop purchased wall saw the festool comes in relative priced and from the information you've all given me, does an excellent and accurate job with a good finished cut.

Once again I thank you for your responses, when I've saved enough I'll let you know how I get on.

Back