Wall board for hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
For the last few months I`ve been re-organizing the shop & I`m finally at the stage to make a new wall tool board for planes, chisels, saws, etc & I wondered if anyone had any ideas/pictures of their own.

For my last one I used dowel as pegs, which worked quite well but could cause mutterings of discontent when flesh came into contact with them inadvertently.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Cheers.

Doug,

These garden tool hooks make great hangers for 'G' cramps.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/metal-tool-ho ... of-5/26751

I put the cramps in horizontally. They would hold a hammer too I guess.
After they are screwed to the wall, they are quite easy to bend by hand, if they need to be opened up a little.

I would go and take a pic, but it's brass-monkey weather out there at the moment!
For bigger stuff like sash cramps, there are also some black 'ladder hooks' with plastic guards on the ends . They come in packs of 3 assorted sizes.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/storage-hook- ... of-6/40531

HTH :D

Ask Jase on t'other side he made something which was simple, adjustable and worked well IIRC. You might even find a picture of it if you do a search.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

promhandicam":1i7e376i said:
Ask Jase on t'other side he made something which was simple, adjustable and worked well IIRC. You might even find a picture of it if you do a search.

=D> =D> =D>

That`s exactly the one i was thinking of mate when i asked the question, but couldn`t remember where I`d seen it & who`d made it #-o

Searching for "wall" & jase wasn`t my best idea, it appears he`s mentioned his wall saw a couple of times :lol: :lol:

Ta very much.

Another option is to go for a tool cabinet which opens up to form a "tool wall". One of the best I've seen was the one built by Marc in Luxembourg - there was a thread about it here my-tool-storage-t10585.html

There are also various pictures of it dotted about on his blog http://woodnotes-marc.blogspot.com/sear ... -results=9

Although I doubt that you have as many planes as he has :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I don`t remember Marc`s thread, interesting as was his blog

Paul Chapman":3k4avgp3 said:
Although I doubt that you have as many planes as he has :lol:

Not quite, :shock: but I am up to 12, though that`s taken 30 years & i`ve been given 5, made 3 & only bought 4 :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

There seem to be some widely different approaches to this. Some of us love to create beautifully fitted and finished holders for tools as a project in itself. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not essential.
Others will just see this as an opportunity to use up some of the hoarded scraps and offcuts, with any old assortment of bits and pieces to hold the most frequently used tools. I'm firmly in the latter category and just have some old offcuts of plywood on the wall, onto which have grown various pegs, hooks and racks. On the other side of the workshop are shelves largely made out of bits of old skirting board. It's not pretty, but it works fine for me.

I am with you Andy.

Whilst I don't want sagging shelves, made from thin material, just because it's available around the shop, I don't feel justified in using say 18mm WPB for workshop shelving, when 18mm MDF (Which I also tend to have lying around) will do just as well. If required, that can be edge moulded, without worrying about the 'plies' showing. So MDF is what I use for shelving in the garage. The most expensive part of that is the support system. I like adjustable shelves, and I plumped for the Spur shelving system, which is adjustable, erected easily and dismantles just as readily. Plus the fact that if I need another shelf, I just buy half a dozen new brackets that fit the uprights straight off the bat! If I want to cover them with doors, again no problem. Just get some more MDF sawn to size, and fit face frames, with the Kreg or similar.

But that will be when I have cleared up the mess! :lol:

The storage I was after was for bench tools, things i want to hand when working at the bench that I don`t want to be going into cabinets for.

What I found with my last board was the once I`d made a slot for a particular tool it was a big job to either move it to a better position or change it for a replacement tool, as the positions were fixed.

As I mentioned in a post above, I`d seen the type of thing I wanted but couldn`t remember where, but now I`ve found it I`ve managed to make a start on the new one, & the ability to ajust the slotted tool hangers in & out has already proved useful.

I started with 3 vertical 2 x 2 screwed to the wall with the bottom shelf screwed to these.

CIMG6837.jpg

Working off the bottom shelf fixed 1" thick battens of differing widths to the verticals. spacing them 3/4" apart, the bottom shelf was then screwed up to the first batten.

CIMG6843.jpg

The battens themselves were fixed to the verticals with furniture fixings, this was so I could drill an over sized hole in the batten to allow for expansion & would also allow for slight re-alignment in the future if the tool hangers became loose.

CIMG6839.jpg

I was then ready for some tool holders the first being for the AI butt chisels, it looks deep but most of the timber passes between the battens to cantilever the hanger.

CIMG6842.jpg

Finally the top shelf fixed & some tools hung up

CIMG6846.jpg

These might not be their final positions as I have more hangers to make, but at least I can move them round to best utalize the space.

Cheers.

Doug,

That's a nice clean bit of pine you found, and your work looks spot on.
Obviously this works, but I can't visualise how the shelf is prevented from tipping forwards. There doesn't seem to be anything behind on the wall, under which to 'hook' the rear edge of the shelf. Surely the rear arris of the horizontal bars alone won't hold it for ever, if they get rounded over?
Or am I missing something?

John :)

The hangers will only get moved when altering the layout John, once in a blue moon, so they wont wear.

They are surprisingly ridged, though they should be as they are a very snug fit & they aren`t holding a massive weight.

Cheers.

gregmcateer":x19xnpcs said:
Don't know if they're any good - Aldi and poss Lidl have some in their Boy Section at the moment.

Lidl had some plastic pegboard type thing when I went this afternoon. They didnt look great. They had a hook set too, which looked alright, although I only glanced

Doug,

I tried posting last night, but for some reason Virginmedia wasn't playing ball.

Thanks for your explanation. As I said, it looks a treat, and I think I could bear looking at something similar over my bench. At the moment my tools are in wooden cleats screwed to the match-board cladding.It works okay, but it could be organised to save more space. I.e, I could do better. :oops:

So, I am trying to decide if I should commit some Parana Pine cill boards I've been hoarding, or if I should use MDF. (Which would be perfectly adequate.) As I get the junk moved, and my new machine stands finished, I'll move on to this kind of 'tool wall'.

Cheers :eek:ccasion5:

ian_in_the_midlands":tj865iza said:
Isn't rust a problem when tools kept out like that?

I can't speak for anyone else Ian;

But I have tools above my bench, in a similar fashion. I don't have any problems with rust.
South-facing, metal door keeps the shop humidity right down. Nor do I ever have a problem with work 'moving', after it goes from the workshop to where it's going to live.. Thank the fates! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back