Wall board for hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug B":2ox15d0y said:
CIMG6846.jpg
That's brilliant Doug :!: absolutely brilliant.

Living in the Shaky Isles, I don't know that I would trust the friction fit. I think I'd want to add a lip somehow - just to be sure. I had a look at that woodtopics link too, but I'd be scared of that jumping out as well. Maybe a groove in the bottom of each batten, and a matching groove on each shelf, and slide the shelves/holders in from the ends... hmm :-k

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":24u9gusq said:
Doug B":24u9gusq said:
That's brilliant Doug :!: absolutely brilliant.

Living in the Shaky Isles, I don't know that I would trust the friction fit. I think I'd want to add a lip somehow - just to be sure. I had a look at that woodtopics link too, but I'd be scared of that jumping out as well. Maybe a groove in the bottom of each batten, and a matching groove on each shelf, and slide the shelves/holders in from the ends... hmm :-k

Cheers, Vann.

Hey Vann...

How dare you steal my ideas! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DougB, I understand the ply? 'chocks' to lift the planes off the flat, but why the end stops on that one wooden plane on the left?

Looks great by the way, I'm going to copy it too :)

Benchwayze":22xt0pgk said:
Hey Vann...

Hee, hee :twisted: .

Okay, so I'm thinking instead of 1" x whatever battens (20mm thick) I could use something 30-35mm thick with a groove towards the back on the bottom surface. The shelves/hangers could have an identical groove on the top surface - then slide in a loose tenon. That would save having to slide the shelves in from the end (might be a bit fiddly though :-k ).

And the battens could be attached directly to the wall - the 2"x2" packers wouldn't be necessary due to the extra thickness of the battens.

Cheers, Vann (another John)

Vann":vjv6brzj said:
Benchwayze":vjv6brzj said:
Hey Vann...

Hee, hee :twisted: .

Okay, so I'm thinking instead of 1" x whatever battens (20mm thick) I could use something 30-35mm thick with a groove towards the back on the bottom surface. The shelves/hangers could have an identical groove on the top surface - then slide in a loose tenon. That would save having to slide the shelves in from the end (might be a bit fiddly though :-k ).

And the battens could be attached directly to the wall - the 2"x2" packers wouldn't be necessary due to the extra thickness of the battens.

Cheers, Vann (another John)

John,

I see your thinking, and yes it might be a bit fiddly.
I wasn't thinking of a groove to hold it all in place. Doug is relying on friction alone, which is fine. But I might decide to put another surface beneath the shelf so it's "belt 'n braces"! But that's me. Still mulling over though, as there are other jobs to do first. Like assembling my Triton tomorrow! After my 'Full Monty' Sunday breakfast. :D

Thanks for the positive comments.

ian_in_the_midlands":3lbk6p14 said:
Isn't rust a problem when tools kept out like that?

I suppose that would depend on the humidity in the workshop Ian, I`m fortunate that my shop is heated via the house central heating, the pipes under the racking are radiator pipes, so rust isn`t a problem.

Vann":3lbk6p14 said:

Hi John.
The racking is fixed to a plastered concrete block wall so I don`t think there will be enough vibration from the machines to cause the hangers to move, though i do agree, depending on the make up of a wall extra thought might need to be given to the chances of movement.

monkeybiter":3lbk6p14 said:
DougB, but why the end stops on that one wooden plane on the left?

Just because it`s on the end of the rack & i can be a clumsy so & so at times, so hopefully the stops will prevent me knocking the plane off the end.

I like that allot ....more flexible than using a specialized fitting to hold tools and may be not as exspensive
I will for one be doing this as i re-organise my space ...need to finish bench first lol ....stroll on warmer weather :D

It's a very nice racking idea, but I'd be wary of being bitten by chisels stored without guarded edges.

I'd suggest positioning them with their edges guarded behind a protective rail or at least in a position where you'll not be reaching for anything beneath their unguarded edges.

Benchwayze":1p3io89k said:
Webby":1p3io89k said:
...need to finish bench first lol ....stroll on warmer weather :D

WIMP

:mrgreen:

Getting warmer every day (further south than you ) soon be able to venture into the shed and finish bench :D :D :D :mrgreen:

Webby":3iq0lgpv said:
Benchwayze":3iq0lgpv said:
Webby":3iq0lgpv said:
...need to finish bench first lol ....stroll on warmer weather :D

WIMP

:mrgreen:

Getting warmer every day (further south than you ) soon be able to venture into the shed and finish bench :D :D :D :mrgreen:

Up here it was a tad warmer today Webby. I managed a few hours in the shop too. Got the Triton assembled, and much more space made in the shop. :D

Back