Walking stick from kale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now the owner of some Everbuild Wet Rot Wood Hardener.

Do you think I should treat the stick with it before I proceed any further with the finishing? I have to say, it does look like just the right stuff for the job. :)

I'm really only guessing here but I would brush it on all over, relying on its ability to sink in wherever it's needed and just coat the surface where it's not. That way you have a similar surface on the whole thing. But maybe someone else with experience will know!

Ok, how about staining? Will this hardener take a stain, or will it prevent me from staining the stick after use?

Could / should I stain it first?

Really need a bit more advice please!

I was looking at some Ronseal wood stain this morning. I read on the tin that it's waterproofing as well as a stain. If I use this first, will it stop the wood hardener being taken up by the wood?

I tried a small area with the wood hardener yesterday, at the bottom end that will eventually be cut off. It has left it with a clear, almost varnish-like coat. I don't think it would stain well (but until I buy some I can't test that).

So what do you think? What's the best way of tackling this? (homer)

Do you have only the one stick, or is there another one you could experiment on? From what I remember of using the hardener under paint, I think it would make an impervious surface which would not take a stain at all. You might be able to mix a spirit based stain with it, but try it out first.

Thanks Andy. Sadly, I only have the one.

The Ronseal stain I was looking at was for exterior use, so I'm going to see if I can find one without the waterproofing properties. If I can get one, I'll stain it first and then use the wood hardener. I can't see it working the other way round. I should at least be able to varnish over the wood hardener, but agree that it will be too impervious to stain.

Yes, as a general rule you should stain, put on a coat of finish to bring the colour out (the wood hardener sounds as though it'd do for this stage,) and then treat blemishes and holes to suit the finish, either contrasting (black blemishes might look good in this case....! or gold resin ones, or car filler with stains if you happen to have some lying around) or trying to get them as similar as possible. After that finish as desired.

mrbadexample":11is7lec said:
Sadly, I only have the one.

Just cut off a couple of the side shoots to experinent with. "season" them a bit in the microwave (when the other half isn't looking) to dry out a little.
i'd have thought that would give a good indication of likely success or otherwise!

Bob

ps: get on with it man! I'm anxious to see the finished article :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lons":2dtm9g0d said:
mrbadexample":2dtm9g0d said:
Sadly, I only have the one.

Just cut off a couple of the side shoots to experinent with. "season" them a bit in the microwave (when the other half isn't looking) to dry out a little.
i'd have thought that would give a good indication of likely success or otherwise!

Bob

ps: get on with it man! I'm anxious to see the finished article :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no side shoots! The picture of it growing was from two years ago.

I'll be ages yet... :oops:

I have decided to sand it as much as possible, before staining it and then applying the wood hardener. I think that's the best way to go.

Lons":1ucn98l6 said:
mrbadexample":1ucn98l6 said:

Finished! :D

DSCF5826_zps5bc8d22c.jpg
DSCF5827_zps476750e0.jpg

Just a smidgin over 14 months - not bad eh? To cut a long story short, I filled in all the holes and sanded it. A lot. Then about a year later I stained it, then applied a coat of the wood hardener (wet rot treatment). It didn't take to the soft spot as well as I'd hoped, but a bit of superglue sorted that out about as well as I could hope for. It's still a bit of a weak spot but should be ok. Finally I trimmed the end off and put a rubber foot on. As long as you don't look too close, it's a passable job. :wink:

Now all I need is a gammy leg. :lol:

Back