Walker Turner Pillar Drill/Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently been given a fairly old drill press made by Walker Turner, model No DP1040. It’s pretty large and is extremely heavy. I have spent a fairly substantial amount (3 figures) having the motor overhauled/rebuilt but feel it’s worth it because the quill is substantial and has no play in it all, which is more than I can say for some newer models. The chuck is, I would guess, the original item and is mounted (I am told) on an arbor with a Morse Taper; from what I can see of the arbor, I would guess it’s a No 1 MT.
IMG-20191209-WA0000.jpg

20201020_190435.jpg

My problem is I can’t get the chuck off the machine - ie I can’t break the Morse Taper; I have tried (obviously) using the threaded ejector immediately above the chuck, I’ve tried wedges, heat + wedges, hitting it downwards with a block of wood and a large persuader, heat + hitting it, heat + the ejector etc etc. I don’t think there’s much I haven’t tried!
So my question is, does anyone have any pet/infallible way of extracting a Morse Taper? I would quite like to put a new (possibly bigger) chuck on it, but obviously can’t. I haven’t yet tried unscrewing the chuck from the arbor, which I suppose would possibly allow me to fit a new chuck, but I’d obviously prefer to remove the whole assembly.
Any ideas would be welcome!

is it definitely on a taper?]
could there be a screw holding it to the quill, accessed from inside of the chuck and the quill itself has a tapered end?

Back