Wagyu

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we have steak it’s grilled on a slightly dished oak board that I turned on the lathe.
the board is just given a quick wipe with kitchen roll whilst still hot after use.

Hi. The best way to do this is actually use Asian fish sauce, paint a teaspoon on for every 200gs and seal in a bag for 3 days and leave in the fridge. This will give the umami, nutty flavour you get from a well aged steak.

I will definitely try that. Very cheap idea.

Tom, I am jealous. Enough said :cool:

Luckily my butcher has his own herd and 2 dry aging cabinets. Means I can buy what I want and then age it. Aged a big sirloin on the bone last year for my birthday, barbecued on the kamado were easily the best steaks I’ve had.

sous vide works for tender but doesn’t make up for flavour. Koji really ups the umami and can help turn bland into inter

Currently enjoying a lot of rare roast beef. Heavy seat in pan, then into oven at 110c and steam till internal of 57c. Absolutely fanastic

this was last weeks tritip
View attachment 91193

And if you want a good burger- dry aged rib trim with bone marrow on a coarse grind.

Looks Amazing. And I spy a Murray Carter there too. Very nice.

Don't buy beef... Buy venison!

Tastes great, Low Cholesterol, high in Omega 3.

The market for UK venison is dire at the moment.

Even in a good year the majority of our wild venison is exported to the continent while the stuff you see in the supermarket is most likely imported from New Zealand.

The future of woodlands in the UK is dependent on annually culling deer and without an outlet many stalkers simply won't...

Save a tree. Eat a deer.
Why buy it when you can kill your own !

Well indeed. And I do, kill my own that is.

We eat venison 3-5 nights a week. As well as rabbits, hares, pigeons other game, fish that I have caught we very very rarely eat bought meat, or anything that wasn't wild.

That route isn't open to everyone though.

Yes, it would be fox, grey squirrel and cat where we are. Think I'll stick with the butcher.

grey squirel is great in Squabbit pie, along with a nice pinotage, cloves, shallots, chantrel mushrooms with a peas cabbage and mash

The greys should be compulsary eating in this country to help get rid of them

In my opinion f you eat red or processed meat make sure you have a regular colonoscopy and don't let the doctors blame any issues on IBS because bowel cancer is easily treated if caught really early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've faked sous video before now by vac sealing the piece, dropping it into a pan of water at 80, or whatever, then bunging it in the oven at 80. It works well.
AJB - Waitrose and Green Eggs - you are toooo posh 😀

I've faked sous video before now by vac sealing the piece, dropping it into a pan of water at 80, or whatever, then bunging it in the oven at 80. It works well.
AJB - Waitrose and Green Eggs - you are toooo posh 😀

You can "fake" it in a slow cooker too for certain recipes, getting precise temperatures is difficult though.

When I make confit duck I do it in vac sealed bags in the slow cooker. Not only is it less messy and easier than the tradtional method, you also don't need gallons of duck fat to it, just a tablespoon or so.

In my opinion f you eat red or processed meat make sure you have a regular colonoscopy and don't let the doctors blame any issues on IBS because bowel cancer is easily treated if caught really early.

Hi all

This was not really my opinion as I am definately not medically trained or qualified but from published guidelines from people who are and having known several people who have been diagnosed, one whom died.

Quote from Moderate meat eaters at risk of bowel cancer — Nuffield Department of Population Health

Eating even moderate amounts of red and processed meat increases the risk of bowel cancer, according to a study published today in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
The study showed that people eating on average around 76g of red and processed meat a day, which is roughly in line with UK Government recommendations, still had a 20% higher chance of developing bowel cancer than those who only ate on average about 21g a day.
One in 15 men and 1 in 18 women born after 1960 in the UK will be diagnosed with bowel cancer in their lifetime. This study found that risk rose 19% with every 25g of processed meat (roughly equivalent to a rasher of bacon or slice of ham) people ate per day, and 18% with every 50g of red meat (a thick slice of roast beef or the edible bit of a lamb chop).

https://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/ab...MIzvCzx7Cv7AIVSrTtCh24OAiXEAAYASAAEgLtOPD_BwE
This post was simply to make people aware of the risk, we all take extra precautions with the ones we can see, table saw blades and the like but it is the not so obvious or visable ones that sneak up on you without warning.

Oddly enough, Waitrose where I live has a dry aged beef cabinet. I like to get a BBQ, (green egg) seriously hot, and then sear the oiled steak. I cook straight from the fridge and the steak to be almost still alive. I rest it when seared and that gives me sufficient heat penetration to the core.

I prefer to buy a piece of ribeye, sirloin or fillet and cut the steak slices myself. I think it improves it greatly when it is much thicker than typically sold. I also adopt pro chef seasoning - by which I mean a lot of seasoning!

However, I used to eat beef a lot. Now I hardly ever eat it. I think quality is very patchy, including from local butchers and Waitrose (which is the only proper supermarket near the village where I live) and I have had far too many tasteless or tough beef steaks. I also cut back on red meat a lot and forced myself to eat more fish and vegetables. Healthier I think. In winter, slow cooking takes over.

It is practically impossible to get Venison where I live. Waitrose do sell venison steaks occasionally, and venison burgers. But the absence of fat seems to equate to an absence of flavour.

Try a different cut like bavette, onglet or even flat iron...believe it or not Morrison's sell bavette for around £10/kg. Seared to fairly rare it's been consistently decent for the years I've been eating it.

Yes. I am aware of those. Cote (restaurant) have been using Onglet for their minute steak £10 special for years. Lots of flavour but I like thick steaks and those cuts are not suitable. As it happens I have cut down massively on red meat.

An onglet can be fairly thick say up to an 1 1/2" it's just not a huge cut of meat in area but then as you say you're cutting down.

Interesting about the red meat. I'd like to eat more beef but it's just not really affordable on a regular basis. Luckily one of the cheapest cuts of meat is also one of my favourites and very versatile, chicken thighs, eat a lot of them.

Back