Wadkins machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

HI all

Just been chatting with the ex engineering manager from Wadkins and was given a little info that I thought would be of interest to members.

Basically in the very early '80s, competition from Germany was increasingly becoming a problem and so Wadkins took the official decision to 'compete on price'!!
Yes, use cheaper materials and production methods = lower quality kit.

The advice I was given was simply to avoid Wadkins kit made after the early '80s. Kit produced before this date should last forever I am reliably informed (from one who knows)

Tony, its not what you know but who you know. Thanks for passing the info on, but surely this does not include their new machines, or does it?

Many thanks

Woody

Woody wadkin went belly up a year or so ago leaving only their service department. If there are any New wadkin machines out there, they are made elseware and badged up.

Bean

Bean, Tony, As you know i have been looking for various machines to fill my workshop and i was sure that i have seen Wadkins machines for sale and that both of you were wrong. But you know what it is like, you look at so many machines from different manufactures, both second hand and new, and it seems that i have not seen any new Wadkins.

I have come across their Ultracare service department and i was sure that they were still making some sort of machines in their Leicester factory. But if you say that they have gone then who am i to disagree. Sad really because my dad when he was alive always sung the praises of Wadkin.

Many Thanks

Woody

Back