Wadkins lathes - tool rest stem clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
This applies to a BZL, but may well apply to other Wadkins lathes (BXL, RS, etc); it is possible too that other older lathes may use the same technique.

My problem was that the clamp for the tool rest stem had clearly over the years worn slightly such that in certain positions of the banjo, the clamp handle would strike the bed.

Dismantlement and investigation showed that the LH threaded shaft had a brass tip and that this had a distinct depression and had effectively worn a bit. It was also belled out somewhat so the first option was to pean it round with a hammer to encourage some of the brass to be where it should be ! This did have some effect but a bit marginal.

I then applied a suitable gripping tool to the brass and found that it came out relatively easily (the hammering would have helped this I'm sure). So on my handle, it's a 9mm dia, 8mm lg brass pad with a 4.8mm dia x 7mm spigot. This is a simple bit of turning on a metal lathe - just keep asking until you find someone like me who has one and you'll get a replacement in no time at all I'm sure !! :)

Rob

Hmm - I wouldn't like to try it to turn a 5mm spigot for an interference fit in a hole, but that is a useful piece of information. What sort of turning speed would you recommend - I just stick my Myford 7 on maximum pulley ratios for brass.

Rob

500-1000 rpm should be fine, I often clean up new 22-25mm diam. ferrules on tool handles with no problems.

Back