Wadkin Vs Wadkin Bursgreen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin...I understand what you say about Northfield.....
but getting the suits in is the thin end of the wedge.....
besides I don't think they are worried about future clients.....
there's prob a long waiting list for their machines.....
If I was in the need of one of their machines I'd happily wait for it.....
they mentioned a small 8" jointer at $8,500 ...think I gotta say thats not a bad price really.....
esp if u consider what a modern, easy available one of that size machine would cost.....

make's my as new 8"Wadkin jointer seem a bargain...tried to sell it for £250 two years ago....def gonna keep it now.....

Out of interest I was involved with a machine that had a cast steel sphere, it weighed in at 35tons all machined up...n delivered....
aprox 3.5m in diameter.....
it was cast In Norway, machined in Denmark....
Deliver'd cost was almost £500,000.......
so looking at Northfield his stuff is cheap...n oh so luvly.......
have a good weekend one and all.....

Thanks for posting that - fascinating, esp seeing the traditional quality.

Their factory looks inefficient sadly, it needs the efforts of a lean construction consultant
$12000 for a 20inch wheel bandsaw!!! I don’t think many people on this forum would buy one...

$12000 for a 20inch wheel bandsaw!!! I don’t think many people on this forum would buy one...
There are far too many old machines out their that can compete or surpass the quality of northfield for a fraction of that cost. I found a Robinson bandsaw which is in a different league for peanuts

Thanks for posting that - fascinating, esp seeing the traditional quality.

Their factory looks inefficient sadly, it needs the efforts of a lean construction consultant

Having seen "Lean" implemented in various organisations, a consultant is the absolute last thing they need.

Without a senior management team who both understand the nuts and bolts of the business and are totally bought in to the concept of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement it invariably makes things worse not better.

If they were going that way, building a succession plan for their MD and Ops director based on taking one or more of their existing managers, sending them off to learn about the fine details of implementing lean manufacturing from experienced manufacturing engineers in other businesses, then bringing them back and gradually giving them more and more control, would be the way to do it.

After all, the TPS (Toyota/Toyoda Production System) from which most of the modern notions of "Lean" are derived is based on evolution not revolution.

The subject of prices of machines came up, Heres probably the most famous and most lusted after machines a wadkin PK.

ry01RA6.jpg

USfpMp5.jpg

V3sAXR8.jpg

According to the National Archives that quote equates to the following

In 2017, this is worth approximately: £9,677.17

In 1960, you could buy one of the following with £461, 13s & 6d:
horse.png
Horses: 1
cow.png
Cows: 6
ewe.png
Wool: 103 stones
wheat.png
Wheat: 77 quarters
coinage.png
Wages: 325 days (skilled tradesman)

According to the National Archives that quote equates to the following

In 2017, this is worth approximately: £9,677.17

In 1960, you could buy one of the following with £461, 13s & 6d:
horse.png
Horses: 1
cow.png
Cows: 6
ewe.png
Wool: 103 stones
wheat.png
Wheat: 77 quarters
coinage.png
Wages: 325 days (skilled tradesman)
So it’s a year and a half’s salary... gosh, I wonder why they are built differently to a modern machine that can be purchased for as little as one week’s salary?

Out of interest I was involved with a machine that had a cast steel sphere, it weighed in at 35tons all machined up...n delivered....
aprox 3.5m in diameter.....
Ok, you have to tell us what the amazing sphere was for.

On a side note I watched this on youtube yesterday, mostly metal working machinery but an insane place.
It is sad to see so many machines just sat unused but also still nice to see them at all, we need a UK equivalent full of Wadkins Robinsons.

Ollie

Back