Wadkin Time Warp Workshop - Kent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.

Newbie here. I was scouring the net for pictures of my old Wadkin bandsaw and think I have tracked it down courtesy of this thread. I have what I think is a Wadkin 24" D.H posted on page 6 of this thread. Some time in it's life it has been converted to electric but happy report the old girl is in regular use and my only bandsaw. Happy to post some pictures if you're interested. Thank you jimi43 for your pictures.

Beau":2kue5rwv said:
Hi all.

Newbie here. I was scouring the net for pictures of my old Wadkin bandsaw and think I have tracked it down courtesy of this thread. I have what I think is a Wadkin 24" D.H posted on page 6 of this thread. Some time in it's life it has been converted to electric but happy report the old girl is in regular use and my only bandsaw. Happy to post some pictures if you're interested. Thank you jimi43 for your pictures.
very nice bit of old wadkin kit

jack
English machines

Yes please Beau - definitely like to see pics. I doubt there are many of these actually in regular use. I handled that one and examined closely - a delight to the eye (my eye anyway). A bit light in the H&S department, but that's a part of the charm.

As you say Douglas they are a bit light on H&S but I have amended that where I can. It came with the most awful metal blade enclosure that needed 16 large nuts removing to change the blade. I striped it all off and made a wooden enclosure with a few curves to pay lip service to lovely curved castings. I have used some blade guides from Carter and a fence from the top the line Basato bandsaw to make it more user friendly.

Attachments

• DSC03571.jpg
    DSC03571.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC03574.JPG
    DSC03574.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC03578.JPG
    DSC03578.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC03582.jpg
    DSC03582.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 235
heimlaga":1j3r4ixb said:
What a nice bandsaw! That saw is surely a lot more solid than most band saws sold theese days.

You are so right there. I had a pretty expensive Italian machine before this. When tensioning the blade the housing would flex making precision set ups almost impossible. It's tables where not flat and guides where poor. I sold it on leaving enough to buy and get this old beauty up and running. Don't know what it weighs but my mates transit was grounding on the wheel arches bring it back to base. Just the cast table was a two man lift and flat as a pancake to boot.

Beau":183ef9q1 said:
As you say Douglas they are a bit light on H&S but I have amended that where I can. It came with the most awful metal blade enclosure that needed 16 large nuts removing to change the blade. I striped it all off and made a wooden enclosure with a few curves to pay lip service to lovely curved castings. I have used some blade guides from Carter and a fence from the top the line Basato bandsaw to make it more user friendly.
Very few of these were made yours is only number 91 as Wadkin started at 100 when counting. your test number is low too and because this machine is Ball bearing it is possible that the guards are Wadkin. They do look the part in many ways to the DR. the 30" DH had a different tension arrangement and tracking system but was fully guarded. I do agree the C frame look lovely with out the full guarding but i would have a hard time sitting/working in front of one with out my full attention.

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

IMG_9357.jpg

jack
English machines

Wow that is a work of art and a deathtrap at the same time. Thanks for the info on mine and the fact it's a rarity. The guarding is all Beau circa 2000. Its not metal but laminated mahogany that I had leftover from a boat build.

Nice bandsaw Beau, I've got the DR which I picked up for £180. It was very rough but I knew it would be all good in the end.

That looks a beast and you beat me by £20. Love all your pictures of the process of getting her back to tip top condition. Think it safe to say when comes to bandsaws they don't make them like they used to.

Thanks for all the great pics - the Wadkins are all stunners. Love that one Jack - if I had one I would feel sorely tempted to strip off all the guarding just to show it off!
The Scothbrite video is great too, I'll try that on my T'saw table some time.
Excellent work all =D> =D>

Does anyone know if the machines saved were ever reinstalled at Maguire workbenches. I had a look at their website and noticed a wadkin planer handwheel on a finished workbench

As I recall some of the machines were in use at their old workshop. But since then they've moved to the barns, where electricity is in short supply!

That restored one above that Jack shows crops up on Pinterest, credited Shane Whitlock...? Is it alive and kicking?
It's a real beauty but I think the guards are a bit too pretty.

Back