Wadkin RS restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This car (2 ingredients)primer paint is great.
I use that in my lathe restoration project... But for coat i chose dark green hammer effect paint.
The coating and effect is great but paint easy chip of. Little hit ...
file.php

Max Power":2w48lvsv said:
Which mask are you using with the 2 pack ?

I'm using a Sundstrom mask with a filter suitable for paint use. You can join other filters on them so I use a P3 particle filter first to help reduce the load on the paint one.

Dominik I noticed that already when moving some parts ready for topcoat I knocked it and a chip flew off. I don't know if the 2 pack will help prevent this. I found when using enamel it would chip easily.

I got the parts back off Mr Doubleboost and am very pleased. He subbed the gibs to a pro shop and they are ground perfectly. You cant grumble at £2O each.

yKMzlji.jpg

HzT5YzA.jpg

What break

geD4PbY.jpg

Wadkin always painted inside their enclosures

UH2K5kH.jpg

It took 4Omins to mask the letters and 4O secs to spray them

7L3yP0h.jpg

vvo6okT.jpg

The flatbelts for these are silly money, so me being thrifty I had a wide conveyor belt made up then I just cut a 1.5" strip off for a new drive belt.

9zM2Y8i.jpg

You do have to remember to install it when youre putting the spindle in.

VN01iUc.jpg

Time taken 1O2hrs

A bit more done, the best way to clean up your knobs is stick it in a drill and spin in your hand with sand paper. Then finish of with t cut.

UTGTKcg.jpg

55uu5rf.jpg

The same goes for the horn handles

CNn3Bvp.jpg

The handle on the banjo is not original and is wobbly

olPSJHw.jpg

The solution put a bushing in

4xVjMcT.jpg

Its so nice having the wadkin recessor I did at the beginning of the year. It works a treat with the vfd

53YdksZ.jpg

8lFh7Uj.jpg

f5A8Snw.jpg

The dealers tag came out quite nice, I think I'll be keeping it

Usj2dxa.jpg

Now to see if the bit doubleboost made fits.

ifpNG6S.jpg

Time taken 119hrs

There is something oddly attractive about that dealer tag, definitely put it on the wall or something!

What a nice job ur doing.......I did a few Ruston Hornsby Diesel engine's in my yuff........know the pain.....
but stunning when finished....to old now...want my fun working not fixing.....
my wife bought me my RS...it's still laying on the pallet......be a least a year before I get to fire it up.....
just gotta build the barn n get 3phase installed the away we go......got some 1/2 ton Olive wood blanks to whittle away.....

Its looking amazing Wallace, but I wouldn't expect any less. Only wish I had the time and energy to get mine sorted, I got it mostly paint stripped and functional then had to put it to work. They're a fantastic tool though

A few little job and then its done, the handle for the cross slide needed tarting up a bit.

lRwSFSb.jpg

Cwv5KP2.jpg

Then I needed a pin to centre the tail stock, the only stuff I could find was an old stair rod

Hh2wapQ.jpg

Took me a couple of attempts to get the taper correct, its only 1mm

IfbBkSJ.jpg

omsi7KJ.jpg

AzYxbNE.jpg

In our town we have one of those hardware shops that reminds me of the two ronnies sketch, '4 candles', it has an owner in brown overcoat that finds your stuff. The town is dying but this place is still surviving. Anyway whilst he was getting my order I noticed some rolls of rope for wood burners I think. I thought it would be perfect for the electrical door gasket. £1.5O

mLUlrjY.jpg

I then had the bright idea to make something for the spindle locking pin to go

sc7MLH2.jpg

aYQOc81.jpg

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself and stood back to look at my work, I then realised I'd messed up. This lathe didn't come with a banjo so I pinched the one off my lathe. Only problem is its a 1O" version.

cHxxNMG.jpg

Look how high the tool rest is

uZba62u.jpg

It took me a while to find the correct size, I had to buy another lathe.

lmycOEf.jpg

F8xKGUc.jpg

Finito

BKew9i1.jpg

G3uYw4y.jpg

LzYh9jt.jpg

PwXOsC1.jpg

YJmU8qK.jpg

3vbGmye.jpg

cPvmwX0.jpg

ZZIKEr2.jpg

Time taken 129hrs

A thing of beauty as always, perhaps one day I’ll have a tool Wallace finished in my workshop!

Superb job, and thank you for the time and effort writing up the project.
Another wonderful machine back in action for another lifetime.

Latest posts

Back