Wadkin RS Lathe - help with measurements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnapps95

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

Can anybody help me with some measurements for a Wadkin RS Tool Rest Holder as I am going to fabricate one so we can use the double tee tool rests.

Ours is a 10” lathe and I am not sure ours is the correct one as there would be 3 different sizes. I have done a drawing with the sizes on that I know can anybody fill in the remainder please.

The picture of the tool rests for the gap are for an 8” and 10” lathes, I was able to measure these so if anybody would like these measurements let me know. I was allowed to borrow the large one and the foundry cast one from it at a cost of £150 + VAT.

Has anybody been watching eBay and all the RS Lathes being dismantled and sold in bits, what do you think of the prices?

Lathe drawing 001-1.jpg

DSCF0343-1.jpg

DSCF0349-1.jpg

Attachments

• Lathe drawing 001-1.jpg
    Lathe drawing 001-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,480
  • DSCF0343-1.jpg
    DSCF0343-1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,481
  • DSCF0349-1.jpg
    DSCF0349-1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,481
I cant help with yorur main question, sorry.

I have, though, been watching the dismantling of these old lathes to sell as parts with sadness. At one point I thought of buying an RS headstock and motor to act as a bowl turner ...but the seller had separated the motor andthe headstock and was selling them separately ...the issue being that the motor had the lower part of the pulley for sale with it while the upper part was with the headstock :(

The pricing is awkward as the big lumps of iron are cheap but the smaller parts are quite competitively bid for ...and I didnt fancy bidding for a big bit as I might get scammed (or genuinely outbid to excess) on the required smaller parts!

Hello,

I have an RS 10 and the dimensions that you show are the same as mine, I also have an 8 but the tool rest holder is the same - handy as I use them both for a longer rest.

It is a shame watching the RS bits get broken up but maybe it is getting some old lathes going again, as far as the prices are concerned I'm not sure. I need a gap bed section for mine and when I asked him about it was removed and the price seemed to go up! The problem is where else can you get parts from....

Merlin

Thanks Merling. Any chance of the measurements for the 8" one please. I have made a full set of double tee rests and I am going to make a pattern (some time) and have two castings made so we can use the rests, one on e-bay sold for £300.00. Be wary of the seller! I bought an item on 19Jan and still waiting for it to arrive after several e-mails. He also ends auctions early citing (error in listings) but the never reappear on e-bay again. Regarding your gap bed section I am waiting for a reply from a gentleman and depending on his reply I might be able to help you. Kind regards schnapps95

The 8" one is the same size as the 10", I'm not sure why as I assumed they would be different.
If you can help with the gap bed section I would very much appreciate it as it is of limited use without it - please keep me posted.
Here's a couple of photos:

Merlin

Attachments

• IMG_3815.JPG
    IMG_3815.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,271
  • IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,271
Merlin, as a newby to the world of Wadkin and turning, I am interested to see you are in Oxfordshire. Me too. My machine is not a shiny as the one you have posted.

Hello 1tenrob,

Shiny isn't everything, back in my motorbike days they used to say "its not the chrome that gets you home".

If everything works how it should and you have some enjoyment with it who cares what it looks like, how about sending in some photos?

Merlin

Hi Merlin. I am currently lambing the sheep which means a shortage of sleep.
But will do have a couple of photos so far and I will see if I can get them posted.
It is one I had been looking out for for a while as it came with the cross- slide tool post.
Oddly it does not have any Wadkin plaques only one form the dealer Cooksley, unless they used the original Wadkin serial numbers? We are over near Wantage, is that you part of Oxon ?
Rob.

Hello Rob,

You're not to far from me and you're not far from Toolpost either so that's handy.

Merlin

Hi. Merlin. I have waited a month and the gentleman hasn't responded so I am in the process of rebuilding the RS lathe which means unfortunately I can't fix you up with a gap piece, sorry. Kind regards schnapps95

CHJ thank you for all that info. It seems that a) I don't understand how to make a photo small enough b) it maybe only suited to pcs and not Macs? All my pics are taken with my iPhone and they all seem to be too big to upload. I have no idea how to make them smaller. They upload to flea bay with no problem. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

When I take photos with my iphone I send them to my pc, when I press send it asks me if I want to resize the photo, I use the medium setting.

I then put the photo from my email into the pictures library to store it and from there it will upload ok.

Merlin

IMG_0012.JPG

The Wadkin arriving home.
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Has this worked ?

Is it me? It is a bit sad to see so many on fleabay being sold as bits.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 1,843
It doesn't look too bad, nothing a good clean and service won't sort out.

Would be good if you started a new post with plenty of photos.

The main thing is that it is complete so shouldn't take much to get you started.

The killing off the lathes on the bay is a bit sad particularly at those prices but if it keeps others running...
Thing is all the unsold bits will be scrapped.

Merlin

Merlin. Just to say I have a build project going on at present that will end up giving me a workshop space and other things. I will then start a new thread for the lathe moving in and being turned on for the first time. As you say I think it needs a deep clean and service. What grease do you use in the main bearings?

Latest posts

Back