Wadkin PP Rebuild (Picture Heavy)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Wadkin PP as it sat in its former home on the US East Coast in Maine.

Well...I was trying to upload a picture but it doesn't seem to be working. It says, "Your account does not have permission to post links or domain/page references."

I was just trying to link a picture from my Microsoft OneDrive...

Bummer

hi, im new to this forum im looking for some help if anyone can.
i have recently brought a wadkin RS that was restored but unfortunately it did not come with the outboard rest.
if by any chance you no where to get hold of one thats for sale, i have looking on ebay for the last couple of
months but still no luck :(
Regards
Ben

I suppose your best option is to keep looking on Ebay and the like - often there are 'sparse' periods and you can wait for ages until something suitable appears (if ever)

How about building your own outboard rest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQsQTbwXZI - mind you it does not have quite the design of the Wadkin but if you want it to use it could be an option!

Misterfish

hi, misterfish
ill keep looking on ebay hopefully something comes up
i noticed that video on youtube a while ago, he's a very ambitious guy but like you said it does not really look the part.
thanks for you reply,
Misterfish

Jack,
Why in your opinion is belt drive an advance (did more for the saw than anything...)? I get it that it makes speed change easy to accomplish. What is lost is a small amount of power, and a degree of freedom from vibration, as direct drive machines tend to run more smoothly. There are extra parts which may fail. One interesting advantage of the PP, which I discern from your photos, as my PP is at present being prepared for shipping from UK, is that the arbor assembly runs in dovetail ways, which provide a straight up and down travel, versus the arc and its attendant progression fore and aft while raising or lowering the blade. Most belt drive saws have that disadvantage, but I can see that the PP does not! Also, perhaps an extra 1/2" of blade height, as compared to my direct-drive Northfield #4 saw, with the same 18" blade.

You've done something really worthwhile with your time. Good for you and thanks for sharing it with us.

=D>

Back