Wadkin Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmoore1

Reaction score
Hi, Please see my new purchase.

planer.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this model of planer. It is a Wadkin RB 512. Any one got any idea of how old it is?

It is in working order although I never seen it working as I bought it at an auction. I paid £65 +vat so doesn't seem a bad price, seems to be all original with plated 3phase motor.

My plan is to strip it all down and give it a refurb as they don't seem to make them like they use to. Any tips or advise much appreciated.

Cheers
Jon

Attachments

• planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,325
John, there is an amazing refurb on uk workshop of a similar planer which may interest you. Nice buy too :mrgreen:

Hi jon
Looks like you got a bargain! I love the old Wadkin stuff, you cant get anything better. All my machines are Wadkin purchased for at most a tenth of the cost of modern rubbish.

George

I have done repair work on a few these they are a good solid machine the design dates from around the 1920s
But Wadkin had no records for anything before 1937 so it would be difficult to determine an exact date of manufacture

Nice puchase by the way it should clean up well

You might also want to look at OWWM.org. An American/Canadian web site so many machines are not exactly like UK but designs are pretty much common. They are very interested in Wadkin stuff and have a few "experts".

I've found that if you post a question with many pictures you can get sound useable advice and guidance either specific to the machine or the best method to use to disassemble/assemble a refurb.

Good luck.
Alan

Jon

Beautiful piece of old machinery for a great price - I've been looking for one of those for a while now !!! (I recently picked up a smaller 6" Wadkin RA)

Could you please post a pic of the electric motor nameplate...there is a Wadkin RB planer local to me (Down Under) that is missing a motor....I'm looking to match the original

I'm guessing it was made by English Electric or British Thomson Houston for Wadkin ??

Thanks

John

edit - hope you see this - I don't have enough posts to authorise a PM to you

the last brake i fitted came direct from dold and cost around £250. Fairly easy to fit you may be better off going for a new starter and brake as i have had problems in the past with the combo of new and old switch gear. Make sure you fit it on a wel it on protected area of the machine as i have aslo come accross damaged brake modules caused by timber droping onto the box and the shock has caused the switch gear to shutter and destroyed the module

Back