• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Since I finished the bandsaw yesterday I thought I'd crack on and start this thing. I got a message a couple of years ago asking if I knew of any history to it. All I knew was that it was an early generation 1 machine. Oh and I wants it.
I offered to buy it but he was not ready to sell it. But he did say if and when he would contact me. Going forward I messaged him every few months to see if it was for sale and eventually he must of got sick of me asking so he offered it. The price was high, twice as much as I knew I could buy one for elsewhere. But like I said earlier 'I wants it'.

His place was not suitable for pallet collection so I drove to halifax and put it in my VW. I remember it well because after I'd loaded up and secured everything I had a little rest and had some food and coffee. It was then I saw a middle aged woman saunter up to my window and ask, 'do ye fancy any business luv' in a very yorkshire accent. I declined but did offer her a butty, she looked knackered.

Anyway I digress, I've been looking forward to this one for ages.

Do you see the 115 stamped after the PK, that is what number it is but wadkin started at 100 so my machine is the 6th machine built.

It was built on 13th sept 1928

It was overhauled 4 years later and it looks like the speed was changed. Can you imagine a machine nowadays being tested for 6hrs.

The thing that floats my boat is that the PK was unveiled to the public at the 1928 trade exhibition, maybe this is my machine.

This is the first time I've done a generation 1 and their are lots of modifications on later machines

The ruler is etched into the table, later a chesterman ruler was inset

These bolts are for extensions to acomodate a longer slider

Its had alot of work done to it at some point, it has a modern dc break and a crown guard from a much later PP

Back in the day this is what was in use

I cant imagine why the PK took off

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s looks like a beauty, can’t wait to see her all dressed up.

KT_NorCal

Established Member
Reaction score
Ooooh. An oldie.

This a keeper?

Need a later one of these some day m'thinks. Or an ET/E or Pickels, or Stenner, or, or, or... but just settle for a BGS10. I think the latter is the only one that would actually fit in my garage tbh. :)

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes this is a keeper, I have a thing for the old ones. I sold my extended slider PK to get this one.

I made a mistake in my earlier post this machine was the 11th made and wadkins machine numbering starts at 105. Thanks to Vann the wadkin statistician.

Wadkin added flip top oilers on later models here for the raise and lower shaft.

I find you dont need much heat to free up stuck pins

This has definately been taken to bits in the past. The tapered pin has been wacked in too hard. I had to drill it out.

The grease nipple has been rubbing when tilted

I found a broken stud which someone has attempted to drill out not so well. I wont be able to drill it out so might try the doubleboost method of welding a nut on it.

Now this is a bit odd, this is where the gear for the tilt is attached,

Its almost as if someone messed up the pattern for the base casting, and forgot to add a hole and a raised area that would normally be machined flat for bolt holes.

And this part has been cobbled together, the bit where the shaft goes through is nicely bored with oil grooves inside, but there is thick steel welded on the sides for the bolt holes.

KT_NorCal

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes this is a keeper, I have a thing for the old ones. I sold my extended slider PK to get this one.

I made a mistake in my earlier post this machine was the 11th made and wadkins machine numbering starts at 105. Thanks to Vann the wadkin statistician.

Now this is a bit odd, this is where the gear for the tilt is attached,

Its almost as if someone messed up the pattern for the base casting, and forgot to add a hole and a raised area that would normally be machined flat for bolt holes.

And this part has been cobbled together, the bit where the shaft goes through is nicely bored with oil grooves inside, but there is thick steel welded on the sides for the bolt holes.
11th made? Wow.

I'm would classify that under a "still learning how to build this thing" error if that is the case.

"Philip, tell Frank he forgot the #$%'ing boss on the casting again!"

Almost looks like they had a go at it with cold chisels....

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Vann had a very plausible explanation for the big hole, he has a pic of a even earlier machine which has a boss in the main casting. He reckons some one messed up the machining and then a bodge was needed.

Ive been removing the old paint mainly at the bottom where it was really chipped, theres no point removing every bit because the filler they used is really solid.

Followed by a load of aluminium filler

I've done quite a few PK's and never thought to put the casting on a bench to work on.

Wadkin would stamp parts with the machine number to keep them with the correct machine. Looks like someone picked up the wrong bit.

This part is off an earlier version

This poor thing has certainly been in the wars, the fence plate has been welded and re machined

Also the blade flask has been snapped and welded back together

A later version of the trunnion

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Running low on consumables, £100 for this lot. The sanding discs will last a while though, I've only used two so far.

Anyone explain the pattern? Is it the cooling of the cast iron

Taking the handwheels off is just a matter of drilling the peened end and wacking with a punch

But wadkin thought it needed to be threaded and peened

The main casting is nearly ready for some primer

I was contemplating using some polyester spray filler but I think it might be too cold

The blade flask cover is very basic, wadkin changed to cast iron with a much more complicated casting then they changed to aluminium

The brass cages look like they are supposed to be attached to the sliding table judging by corresponding holes, they werent attached , just floating around.

The balls are kept in place by the brass being chiseled slightly

At first I thought it was supposed to slot into the groove at the bottom, but its thicker and doesn't reach.

KT_NorCal

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone explain the pattern? Is it the cooling of the cast iron

Looks almost like wood from the original pattern transferred to the mold...

The main casting is nearly ready for some primer

I was contemplating using some polyester spray filler but I think it might be too cold
I thought with a lot of those fillers that they were meant to go over a coat of primer and not directly to bare metal.... so in other words: strip (however) > prime > fill > sand > spot fill > then prime again ... Do you use a special filler on the cast iron? I'm about to do this on my little AGS, so am curious.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
The 'fiddleback' pattern is a machined surface so cant be transferred:)

Sometimes I prime first but I've not had any fall off of bare metal. The stuff I use smells like normal car bodge but is really dense because of the ali content