wadkin pk restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wallace":1z74cxz5 said:
It cost £5OO in its original condition :shock:

Sorry - irony doesn't always translate well in text. I imagine I would need to mortgage my yet unborn grandchildren to afford the time and effort you have put into all of this. If it was my effort and time, I wouldn't ever part with it. I probably wouldn't use it, except perhaps as a dining-room table, for special occasions only. This is no longer a tool, but a work of art. A labour of love. A breathtaking work of heartbreaking beauty.

I think I may have come over all emotional.{sniff}

Just about finished

qhMjnMJ.jpg

GI8GtyA.jpg

3HKVwed.jpg

When I got the strips done for the base I had them slightly oversize so I could hand finish them whilst trying in the slot.

PwngoZh.jpg

Its still got its original 78 year starter which works well

YUx4myx.jpg

I still have a few jobs to day like fit the brass into the table and the lip of the slider. I don't have a pillar drill anymore so I'll leave these bits until I finish my next machine which is going to be one of these.
I also need to make a table release and get the mitres machined up

sgsYwj8.jpg

HzfUZlb.jpg

MIEIcLk.jpg

BzZeiVM.jpg

rjEZ1ex.jpg

UPTmhzQ.jpg

I love it when a machine comes together! :D

I really like how nice the horn handles look all polished up, adds a really interesting bit of character. How much of a pig is it get the slider dialed in perfectly on one of these? Hours of tiny adjustments? I guess once it's done though you'll never need to look at it again, set forever.

You've got a PM by the way :wink:

Its not too bad after you've done it a few times. You just do the two ends first then the middle ones. The main table has a machined reference and so does the sliding table so you just use calipers to measure the gap. Once I've got my double mitres machined up you just do a 5 cut test to make sure the mitre is running true to the blade.
It was way more difficult on my old pk which had an extended slider and 12 bearings to adjust. On that you had to level the carriage for the sliding table, and tension it against the main supports to stop it flexing when the sliding table went to one end.

If Willy Wonka was real I imagine this is how his chocolate making machinery would look.
Beautiful.

Stunning work as always mate! Were all the crown guards brass or was it just early ones?

TFrench":1cgl9vs9 said:
Stunning work as always mate! Were all the crown guards brass or was it just early ones?

The really early ones were just simple steel affairs then they went to brass up until the mid 4O's when they went aluminium.

Back