wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers Van, I've got one sorted a bit closer to home. I got Matt Matts drawings but i thought the real thing would be easier to copy.

I had a rummage around my junk piles and found these which I'm going to try and make into a crown guard and support.

IQIOqKD.jpg

pUl6Vf6.jpg

I'm copying off the holy grail brass crown guard

FjdUzEk.jpg

gCUD2gW.jpg

wallace":2ayrlg9r said:
I had a rummage around my junk piles and found these which I'm going to try and make into a crown guard and support.

If that's what you've got in your junk piles I would love to look at your "not junk" piles!

I've got that much junk I had to requisition my kids wendy house as an overflow, she doesn't need it now shes 20 years old.

To secure the fixing for bar I drilled and tapped it.

WCrF3AL.jpg

Followed by a bit crow poo braze

an6brJk.jpg

A bit filler

J9eYprA.jpg

And a splash of etch primer

v0H4tU5.jpg

The nuts to tighten the bar clamps are missing so I remembered I had some offcuts of stair rods

W2rBLQg.jpg

jSB5QAt.jpg

cnGZcPK.jpg

ZhuE8Le.jpg

A bit more done, it was only 5 degrees so not the best weather to be spraying. Luckily this enamel is very forgiving and doesn't need perfect conditions for a decent finish. I did put the pieces under a chicken brooding lamp for a bit though.

jx9MWoA.jpg

tPzCXXL.jpg

j2ceV9B.jpg

For the arms I got some round bar from a local fabrication place for the princely sum of £6

ii87P1o.jpg

My bitsa support seems to work pretty well

lT6f2hh.jpg

This saw was missing a couple of adjustable pin that the sliding table runs on, I asked this guy to do them and he kindly agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoS6ipDd-bM&t=26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxiO0ui2qM

That is just so unbelievably impressive i'm speechless!

How on earth do you get the metal ware like wheels etc from being so rusty, back to a polished chrome? Do they sit in a solution of do you just go at them by hand and finish with brasso I have no idea

Things made from cast aluminium always looks a lot worse than they really are, Its just a matter of sanding through the grits and then polishing on a mop. Obviously steel takes more effort.

These are the eccentric pins that hold the bearing for the sliding table. Two of them were missing so I asked that doubleboost of youtube to make a couple, which he kindly did. The one on the right is the wadkin one.

cr9gQN5.jpg

Bearings installed

nt6jcdn.jpg

It was also missing a couple of the pins that hold plain bearings for lateral adjustment of the slider.
Luckily I had a couple spare that Matt Matt made for me a few years ago.

aWsyL3D.jpg

I made some brass covers for the bearings

XcnERi9.jpg

YSf81pE.jpg

This poor pk was also missing its extension for the table.

ToCvLt4.jpg

All finished

k6C4N3p.jpg

lVOTE8s.jpg

PHIDdZO.jpg

ialnAuu.jpg

RGXUKn4.jpg

JxYvjjh.jpg

L441f7q.jpg

HT57sed.jpg

ahVg2f6.jpg

Nice to see a machine get another life of use rather than being shoved in the crusher for a couple quid scrap metal just because of a couple missing pieces.

The fine adjuster part is exactly the same as a pk one, the only difference is the EQ ones don't tilt. The guides on the bottom of the fence fit the dovetail slot in the table perfectly. I'd been searching for a pk fence for years so I think this is a good compromise.

more done, I'm pleased the motor was ok after spending 4 years outside. Bearings in good shape so just flushed and repacked.

J8F7NfW.jpg

After much filling and sanding a few coats of primer

RzZSLC3.jpg

1JEdVdw.jpg

XOZGplH.jpg

Followed by the usual RAL 7011 enamel

diucdYV.jpg

Theres no reason to paint inside other than it looks good

OYxT7FN.jpg

This saw was missing its fence, its original fence ended up in canada. I've been looking for a fence for years so in the end I got the fence off a EQ spindle moulder which has the same fine adjuster but it doesnt tilt. I think it should work well and I think the provision to use the EQ's hold downs which go into the top of the fence will be quite usefull.

NWqPW2c.jpg

YLSwz7k.jpg
That hand screw Knob is paramount. You can't mistake a Wadkin Spindle Moulder split fence. Brilliant use as a substitute rip fence. Tony

Back