Wadkin pillar drill resto

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
studders":140n3c0q said:
I applaud the patience and attention to detail of you 'restoration' chaps.

Agreed - these restorations go far beyond what is needed to make the machine function, and (just to be clear) I'm heartily in favour!

BugBear

I really like old iron it arks back to a day when things were overengineered for there purpose, with a detail that cannot be surpassed by todays industries. I have to do something to keep my sanity. Been out of work for nearly 2 years, so my daily routine is search for work for a few hours then go into my workshop and pretend I have a job :cry:
Mark

completed another bit today

redcontrolbox.jpg

Mark

Mark

I am sorry to hear you are out of work, I hope you sort that soon.

The job you are doing here is truly wonderful and so interesting to read even if I am never going to do the same.

Well done.

Mick

I'm sorry to hear that you are not working.
You clearly have good practical skills and attention to detail which are both excellent attributes.
Had you considered doing general handyman type work.
There are an enormous number of people out there who are unable to do the simplest of practical tasks.
I know of one chap in the medway area who started up a couple of years back and seems to get loads of work mainly by word of mouth.
He had little or no relevant training and picked up most of his knowledge by asking questions in DIY forums.

My son, 24 was out of work for over a year and did voluntary work for a bit which looked good on his CV. He still only has 1/2 time work but he was 1 of 150 applicants and it seems the charity work swung it at the interview.
I hope you get something sorted soon.

Good Luck

Bob

I don't know what sort of work you are looking for, but if it's something similar, include this excellent example of your work in your CV?

Rod

Thanks for the kind words, so far this year I have applied for 30 jobs. You never know one of them might be the one. Bob I have being doing the odd 'handy man job' but they are few and far between. It seems strange sometimes I was quite clever at school and college and my best friend was in the lower classes who went on a YTS, he is self employed doing kitchens bedrooms and loft conversions and I have spent the last 17 years doing a factory job I dispised. Funny this life thingy :lol:
My friend comes and uses my workshop sometimes, He's not daft , works from a van and then gets to use my big stuff. Musn't grumble he dropped me off an oak kitchen that a client was replacing.
I am nearly finished the drill but am running out machinery to mess about with, I only have my Sagar sawbench left. That should keep me going for another month, asumeing I dont get a job. Well on the bright side I might get a few quid more if I ever need to sell them to keeps the wolves away :roll:
Mark

Heres the lamp, pitty its not an original item. The shade was pretty squashed so I had to do a bit of metal bashing, pleased it was aluminium, it polished up well.

lamp.jpg

Heres the drill all put back together

finisheddrill9.jpg

finisheddrill10.jpg

finisheddrill4.jpg

finisheddrill6.jpg

finisheddrill3.jpg

Next is the sawbench, with a bit of luck I won't have enough spare time to do it. I got a letter this morning saying I'd been shortlisted for a potential job. :p

Mark

What a fantastic job, congratulations.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Jim

Great job. I've really enjoyed seeing the drill being restored.

Good luck with the job prospects Mark. Really enjoyed this restoration thread mate, if you put this much care and attention to detail in all your endeavours then I'm sure you're gonna be OK. Top work.

Cheers _Dan.

You need a side by side before and after shot!

Absolutely fantastic restoration which showed up your engineering skills, attention to detail and strive for perfection....no forgetting your obvious love for a (sadly) lost time when machines really were machines!

Bravo mate...looking forward to the saw refurbishment and seeing you coming back on here with a new job under your belt!

=D> =D>

Jim

Ta very much for the praise, much appreciated. Not bad going really I started it on the 19th Dec. I'll have to wait for a week untill I can start the sawbench. My friend has asked me to make a disabled access ramp for a customer. And if you have a look in the background of my pics another friend wants me to make a pile of 12 tanalised sleepers into dressed timber, good look I hear you cry. But he will give me a few reclaimed oak pew ends as payments.
Jim heres a side by side pic

drill.jpg
finisheddrill9.jpg

Back