Wadkin panel saw engineer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMUttley

Reaction score
Hi,
I have, after nearly two years of looking, managed to acquire a Wadkin panel saw with sliding bed. Although built sometime in the middle-ages it still functions and cuts beautifully. However, I think it could do with a good service and set-up and a couple of bits need replacing/mending like the fence. Does anyone know anyone who could do this on a freelance basis? I got in touch with DaltonWadkin but their prices are a tad frightening.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard:

A couple of caveats: I have never tuned up a panel saw, and I'm a little far away from you to make an in-person visit practical. Having said that, I've done a dozen or so machine restorations, so I have some general experience. Machine tuning requires a systematic approach, but is not rocket science. If you have the time and a few tools, you can do it. You will want to check moving parts (pulleys, sliding surfaces, belts, motor shaft, saw arbor) for wear, inspect for any broken parts (not just your fence), and check for any bad bearings (usually by feel when not running and by sound when under power). Put together a checklist and work through it systematically.

Can you get a manual and see if it gives instructions on maintenance and adjustments?

OWWM.org is your friend. Here is a thread on the restoration of a 1970's Martin panel saw:
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108334
You could sign up over there and ask for help if you like. Note that the first question they'll as is "Where are the pictures?" :)

Kirk

Back