Wadkin lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to have another bout of urgent surgery. Surgery went well, but complications in "recovery" and ended up with a pacemaker ! Alas, won't be welding and plasma cutting from here on in.

Will put myself on "light duties" for a few weeks, but had the Colchester and the stand ready to etch prime before surgery, so I should be able to make some progress soon.

sawtooth-9":35ky4nn1 said:
...and ended up with a pacemaker...
You'll have to pace yourself...

Sorry, bad-taste humour. I'm sorry to hear that your health is playing up, and I wish you a quick return to the workshop.

Regards, Vann.

Get well soon mate. Take it to easy and enjoy the nice weather you are no doubt having in Oz. Would love to see some more pictures of the lathes when the time for that sort of thing comes.

Well, it's taken longer than expected for recovery !
Still have a few issues before I get back to normal.
The Aussie summer heat is just a tad taxing, so we are thinking of moving to New Zealand.
So I really need to "pull my finger out" and finish the Colchester restoration ( on the cooler days ! ) just incase I need to pack the workshop into a container for the trip "across the ditch"

sawtooth-9":1cqg9iie said:
...The Aussie summer heat is just a tad taxing, so we are thinking of moving to New Zealand...
So what are you saying about our weather... (hammer)

Actually, it's been cr@p this summer. Down in Otago they had 300mm of snow last weekend - in the middle of Summer!

Cheers, Vann.

That sounds a bit extreme, but guess it will keep the beers cool !
We were thinking a little further north - Banks Peninsula.
Wife is in NZ looking at property next week !
Sydney summer has been disgustingly hot this year !

Recovery has been longer than expected and not sure whether I will ever regain the stamina.
Had hoped to do a little work this weekend, but we are having a bit of a hot spell ( 3 days at over 42 deg C ) so I think it will be a case of sit in front of the air conditioner.
I need to use the Harrison lathe to make a few parts for the Colchester, then sell the Harrison and make some space in the workshop.

Have finally started to do a couple of "light duties" jobs on the Colchester.
It looks like the vee pulley is not original because the footbrake pad does not meet the pulley where it should. The pulley had to be moved towards the headstock by 1/4 inch. The rear of the pulley was bored out on the Harrison to accommodate the step in the drive shaft, and a special washer made to lock the pulley in place.
Checked that pulley diameter is correct by checking spindle speeds.
Also started the masking up, ready to etch prime ( subject to this crazy weather, eithe 40 deg C or raining ! )

Finally managed to get the first coat of etch primer on ( in-between the rain ! )
Need to do a little filling here and there and then start the top coats.
Will take some pics over the next couple of weeks to show progress

just a few pics to add.

Today, managed to open up the feed gearbox and set to work cleaning up.
It is in superb condition, and I will only replace a few o rings.
Then assemble, paint and fit.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4165.jpg
    IMG_4165.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 272
Decided to open up the feed gearbox and check it out.
All looked to be in great condition with no undue wear on gear faces or bearings.
So replaced a few o rings and re assembled. Now re sprayed and fitted to machine.
Also fitted a new legend plate to the headstock, so looking much better.
Have started working on the saddle and cross slide.

We made the decision to move out of Sydney some time ago, and after much searching we exchanged contracts on a small property about 560 Km north of Sydney.
Eight acres, lovely mud brick home and a large ( triple bay industrial shed ) workshop !
So now have to get the Colchester ready to move and consolidate all the workshop ready to transport - which is quite a job. Then have to get our current home on the market, so lots to do !
I will post a couple of pics of the new place if there is any interest, and some pics of the move - which is always an interesting exercise.

You will have to be patient for pics.
A few new health challenges, leaving work, relocating etc
It's the health challenges and the chemo which is a real pain in the .......
Will post again when I can.

Just arranging quotes to move all the machinery to our new place at Bellingen.
Will take pics of the move and our new location for posting.
Have started the chemo and that tends to slow one down, but looking forward to setting up the new workshop.

Hi Eric, thank you for your kind words. It's quite frustrating to have all these fun things to do, yet not be physically fit enough.
I will post a couple of pics of the new place, and what will become the new workshop.
Will also take pics of the move out of our current home, but will have to wait until we can join our son in Bellingen to show the new set up.
First job there will be putting three phase power on or sorting a 10 - 15 Kw three phase diesel generator.
Prefer to run the grid power, but as this is a rural property the cable runs will need to be fairly long and thick ( voltage drop ).

Back