wadkin crosscut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the latest addition to the workshop a used but in great condition wadkin bra crosscut saw. Its got a 350mm blade and 6hp motor

bra-03765x1024.jpg

bra-02765x1024.jpg

bra-011024x765-1.jpg

I need to make a table and fence for it so anyone with any advice pics etc post away. Options being considered at the moment are

1 flipstop http://www.flipstop.com/ looks good quality but quite pricy
2 rutlands t track http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... 22-section good value as pack of 4
3 kreg tracks http://www.axminster.co.uk/kreg-kreg-to ... rod789540/

cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

flip stop gets my vote, have seen it at a few of the shows and also in a few commercial environments. very simple to use, I would get a couple of stops so you can keep a dimension set. I know this would have been very handy for me when cutting up lengths of timber. lovely saw too, I have a maggi myself but was very tempted by a wadkin.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Jon,
I recently set up a table and fence on my Elu, a bit of a toy compared to your saw. After taking advice I did this:-
- leveled top of saw framework with surrounding bench framework and bolted into place
- fixed 18mm board to top of frame works
- fixed sacrificial 6mm mdf board on top of this using double sided tape
- down centre of sacrificial top is a disposable 50mm wide strip,again held in place with double sided tape
- screwed first fence into place allowing max width of cut in 18mm board
- double sided taped a dressmakers tape onto top of fence - unfortunately these are generally only available in
1.5m lengths, but are coloured so it makes quick visual checks easy - most of my accurate dimensioning is
also under 1.5m
- screwed second fence butted up to and infront of first fence - set to allow max depth of cut, but obviously
reduced cross-cut
- I made a simple upturned U shaped stop that clamps into place on my fence from birch ply and a
thumbscrew I soft soldered together - not ideal for production runs, but does its job.

The use of the quickly replaceable 50mm strip in table turned out to be very useful in setting up. I was able to loosely fix fence and make trial cuts into it. These I checked with a roofers square, adjusted and tried again.
Extraction is a pain. I extract from the top guard with a vacumn cleaner, and from behind with a box attached to my workshop extractor. I have bent a thin sheet of plastic into the bottom of the box to direct dust upwards.

Colin

Cheers Guys . I am thinking of going for a 3m flipstop setup. My idea at the moment is too build a 3m bench to the left hand side of the saw and a 1.5m bed to the right. Good idea with the sacrificial inserts colin will incorporate them into my design. Dangermouse i have the original manual and literature from wadkin with the saw including the purchase orders and delivery notes from daltons. The machine was purchased in 1999 by the scottish prison service and i paid £900 plus vat for it from a goverment disposal auction. Current list price is over 5k plus vat.

cheers

Jon

Nice saw... I want one but my unit needs to be a little bigger.... + a Tenoner is next on the list....

What did they use it for in the prison? Torture :lol:

Shows you where some of the taxes go....

Many of the prisons have joinery shops for prisoner rehablititation.
the machines are usually well cared for and not worked very hard. they are also fully serviced every six months it used to be done by wadkin before they went pop. Im not sure who looks after the contract now.

I used to find it a little scary working in there with the inmates. One prison in particular i had to have a gaurd with me and another watching my tools i found out after i had left that the section i was working in was full of peados and lifers (when that job came up next time i threw a sicky)

Back