Wadkin bzb 20 help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I bought a wadkin bzb 20 a few months ago and have finally set up a phase converter to start using it. I saw it working from a 3 Phase supply when I bought it but now it won't start, I press the button and nothing happens, I know the socket I'm plugging into is fine as I've run my 3 Phase planer off it, I've looked at the switches and they seem to be working as should
Wondered if anyone could help me figure out what's wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Josh

Operate the contactor manually with a wooden stick or something else insulating. that should tell you if it is the motor or the controls.

I run my stuff via a static converter and sometimes I wire a machine in and nothing happens when I press start. If I swap the wires around it will work. I think its something to do with the 'dirty leg' created by the converter

Myfordman":ihtct3qi said:
Operate the contactor manually with a wooden stick or something else insulating. that should tell you if it is the motor or the controls.

Hi tried this and the Bandsaw starts to power up I think I may have held the contactor down too long though as it started to crackle
Here's some pictures

wallace":2ml5880p said:
I run my stuff via a static converter and sometimes I wire a machine in and nothing happens when I press start. If I swap the wires around it will work. I think its something to do with the 'dirty leg' created by the converter

Do you mean swapping these wires? If so how do you mean
Thanks Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20191204_175323~2.jpg
    IMG_20191204_175323~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
If it is a Transwave static converter make sure the control coil is fed from L1 and L3.
Merlin

merlin":96zc73tm said:
If it is a Transwave static converter make sure the control coil is fed from L1 and L3.
Merlin

Hi yes it is a transwave static converter but I'm not sure what that means, I'm not very experienced with this sort of stuff could you go into more detail?
Thanks

You have three wires coming from static to your starter on your bandsaw, just switch a couple around

wallace":2mbertaq said:
You have three wires coming from static to your starter on your bandsaw, just switch a couple around

So I have my converter wired into a socket then a plug into the starter, do you mean switch the wires round in the socket, plug or terminals in the starter? Sorry I'm a bit dense with this
Thanks Josh

Not knowledgeable about static phase or rotary phase converters, so I might as well ask...
Does a motor need to be dual voltage to be run by either converter?

Tom

Joshjosh":3hfknzvr said:
wallace":3hfknzvr said:

So I have my converter wired into a socket then a plug into the starter, do you mean switch the wires round in the socket, plug or terminals in the starter? Sorry I'm a bit dense with this
Thanks Josh

I mean terminals in the starter, they will be labled L1,L2,L3 probably. Just switch L1 to L2. It might run backwords but just change the other two. You can do it in the red plug that goes into the converter if its easier.

I mean terminals in the starter, they will be labled L1,L2,L3 probably. Just switch L1 to L2. It might run backwords but just change the other two. You can do it in the red plug that goes into the converter if its easier.[/quote]

This worked:) thanks very much that's saved me allot of time with trial and error

Back