Wadkin bursgreen ags

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warferret45

Reaction score
Greetings. So, building a small workshop next to my house and have gone an bought a wadkin table saw. Been looking for a while but being in Scotland everything was so far away. Anyway, I picked up this table saw for a good price, because its 3 phase. Seems in good nick and will only need minor tlc, except working out how to power it. Budget is a concern, my other half keeps me in check in that regard. So I'm hopeful the much smarter peeps here can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_112759.jpg
    IMG_20210518_112759.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210518_112639.jpg
    IMG_20210518_112639.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 22
...except working out how to power it. Budget is a concern, my other half keeps me in check in that regard. So I'm hopeful the much smarter peeps here can point me in the right direction.
Assuming you've only got single phase available, possibly the easiest way is to find the 'star' point in the motor and change it to 240v 3-phase (I believe your chances of finding the 'star' point on one of those Brooks motors is reasonably high).

Then use a single to 3-phase VFD.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you should probably take it into a motor rewinder and ask them to find the star point for you.

Cheers, Vann.

KingAether had a similar query recently

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/another-wadkin-ags10-thread.130601/page-2
No one replied as to what could be done, and seems that he sourced another setup, so I'm assuming that you need an expensive step up VFD to run that motor,
as it is 380 420 volts Delta (triangle symbol) already, so there is no
star point in the windings to dig out. seemingly???

I believe Delta is always low voltage configuration, but am open to correction, as I have little to no knowledge of things beyond regular dual voltage motors which can be run on 240 volts.

It might be worth popping that cover off the terminal housing to look for schematics under the lid anyway.

ps @KingAether , I wasn't really aware that Delta could be anything other than household voltage on a motor like yours.

Last edited:
A pic of the inside of the terminal box would help.

If it’s 400V delta, then you can’t power it with an ordinary VFD because 400V is the lowest voltage that the motor will run on, and VFDs only give out 230V. It’s presumably intended for star-delta soft starting.

Options:
Static or rotary phase converter.
Digital phase converter
A two-stage VFD (although possibly not approved) from drivesdirect
Swap out motor for single phase, or a modern three phase one and run that on a VFD
Get a three phase supply to your workshop.

@Ttrees was correct, about mine at least, it was 380/400 Δ (delta) so bothering to find the other ends of the windings would only have succeeded in giving me 680/800w Star and your appears to be the same. You can find inverters and converters that will do the job but be prepared to pay more than you likely payed for the saw, they run around £600+; for me the others have dual phase motors and run through VFD's already so either was a big expense for single machine use.
I managed to pick up a used 1ph, 2.2kw 13.5a, 2880 rpm motor and matching starter for £30 local and going to buy these today from a local place. Your bushing might be different depending on motor shaft size but will likely be 24/28mm. You could find someone to bore out the original pulley to match a new 1ph motor but at £15 for the taper lock set its definitely cheaper to get
9e7eccbea789866a02625865bbc4d72a.png
Excellent name by the way (y) this is my war ferret
184534709_187252503157651_5621486791846706253_n.jpg184122470_148228997279458_7679959401925360866_n.jpg

Last edited:
the one I sold got a single phase motor to replace the 3phase jobby....worked out just fine.....

the original motor got built into this metal polisher......had to portable in the old place.....will be bolted down in the new shop.....all made from scrap.......oh, has now got a belt gaurd
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

Excellent guys. I knew I was in the right place. When I get some time I'll pop some bits off and see if I can get some pictures of the workings. I can also then take some measurements incase a motor is the way to go.

Congrats on your purchase!
I’m up in Aberdeenshire too and noticed that saw but was adamant that I wanted the original cast iron wing tables... One scam, an expensive life lesson and a load of hassle later(!), I have a tidy AGS from a private owner in Worcester.
The “recommissioning” is currently paused pending the arrival of SY cable glands and mfr of a new riving knife guide bolt - oh, and running power cables into the newly refurbished workshop...

Aside from conversion to single phase, are you planning to do much to your saw? Good to hear it has been well cared for, hopefully it won’t need much work.
All the best,
Andy

Congrats on your purchase!
I’m up in Aberdeenshire too and noticed that saw but was adamant that I wanted the original cast iron wing tables... One scam, an expensive life lesson and a load of hassle later(!), I have a tidy AGS from a private owner in Worcester.
The “recommissioning” is currently paused pending the arrival of SY cable glands and mfr of a new riving knife guide bolt - oh, and running power cables into the newly refurbished workshop...

Aside from conversion to single phase, are you planning to do much to your saw? Good to hear it has been well cared for, hopefully it won’t need much work.
All the best,
Andy
I'm unsure yet. Just to get it running and give it a once over 1st. From there, I'm not sure yet.

Back