Wadkin BGS10…The rarest table saw Wadkin made. Full Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BGS12 is more common to find, but is still rare compared the the AGS10. They usual command a significant price premium compared to the AGS10 or AGS12.

Until I sold all my workshop equipment a few months ago in a move to a flat I had a BGS12. Very substantial machine. I didn't really get so much interest in it when it was advertised, but it did eventually go to someone over in the west of NI.

I've always liked the BGS and even contemplated getting rid of my PK for one. I prefer the older version.
I dont think people realize what they are. I will have to check my stash to see what bumf I have on them.
That was certainly extreme just to fit a motor.

Well, the parts are due back from the company that does the shot blasting, so progress will continue shortly.

Firstly I must correct a wrong! I haven’t mentioned that the machine restorations I do are not a sole project. A couple of years ago a fellow member on here Sideways was looking for a machine for a local Men’s Shed and was interested in one of my machines. Anyway, he is a fellow retired engineer we became good friends and soon started working together. All of the restorations are now done together. He has brought a huge amount of experience and expertise to what we do, and I have learnt a lot from him. Between cups of tea, nattering, and generally enjoying each other’s company we do find time to do a bit of work!!
We don’t do this as a ‘commercial’ concern, so timescales are not a driver for us. It’s something that exercises out grey batter and helps to fund our next project. It means that we are able to take the time to do it to the very best of our skills and feel pride in every machine we revive for decades of further work. So please bare with us if the thread takes a little time to complete!!
Sideways has a trusty Parry’s price list from 1969 which lists the BGS10.
05B21736-061C-4A74-BC64-4804C33C352A.jpeg

It actually adds to the mystery of how many of these were actually made, as unlike the other saws in the range AGS10,12,14 and the BGS12, which all have a stated price, the BGS10 doesn’t have a price against it.

Last edited:
I've always liked the BGS and even contemplated getting rid of my PK for one. I prefer the older version.
I dont think people realize what they are. I will have to check my stash to see what bumf I have on them.
That was certainly extreme just to fit a motor.
If you have any literature you can share that would be really appreciated. Info on this variant of the saw is very sparse.

The parts are back from the shot blasters, and the next stage is to complete the preparation for paint which needs to be done very quickly. Shot blasted parts need to be painted as soon as possible after processing for the best paint adhesion. These saws have a hammered finish, that’s not the the well known Hamerite paint, but a formulated hammer finish paint that has to be spray painted, it cannot be brushed or rolled. Whilst the big bulky stuff was out being cleaned, the nuts and bolts and all of the small stuff is also started to be de rusted and cleaned back up using a mixture of electrolysis and mechanical means. There is still a little work to do to the handwheels and the plastic spinning handles. The bright work will have a coat of Metal Guard applied, which includes the nuts and bolts to help reduce rust in the future. All moving parts will be lubricated with either white grease, silicone or Liberon machine wax depending on what it is. This will add a further layer of rust prevention.
The photos don’t include all of the parts that make up the saw, the bits aren't that exciting yet!
6AD448D9-3716-4608-8B5E-BDFBBC78D49D.jpeg

D37C9ECD-4249-48F5-9A31-47365A1BE2B3.jpeg
61971BA8-B6E2-4EB4-B64C-29F0D91500C4.jpeg
D84859E8-CA32-4DAA-9856-B33C4FDFA779.jpeg
0DE2BA02-9F94-4727-9BC1-67D8C7010605.jpeg

apologise for the saw dust that in the nuts and bolts box! I forgot to clean it out!! They will be blown off before assembly!

Attachments

• E735C2D9-7985-4610-9AFE-A25A1A2FE1AC.jpeg
    E735C2D9-7985-4610-9AFE-A25A1A2FE1AC.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 8
The fabricated body of the saw inevitably has a few extra surplus holes, that will have been the result of bits bolted on by different owners. These will all be welded over, ground back so that its back to a smooth pure metal surface. I’ve seen filler used, which stays in place for a short time and then inevitably falls out leaving the owner very disappointed.

Yes rust loves nothing better than freshly exposed steel:eek: so even a quick coat of primer will keep it at bay until the finish paint is applied (y)
Did the blasting reveal any hidden nasties ?.

Great stuff,considering that at least one of its previous owners was a bodger with less than impressive ability .

................ Sideways has a trusty Parry’s price list from 1969 which lists the BGS10.

It actually adds to the mystery of how many of these were actually made, as unlike the other saws in the range AGS10,12,14 and the BGS12, which all have a stated price, the BGS10 doesn’t have a price against it.

Hi Deema,
These are the comparative prices from the 1964 price list Wadkin BGS 10 restoration and modifications - Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement Forum In the 1971 price list the BGS10 is listed as "Not Available". I think the BGS 10 became quickly out-dated, specification wise, by the BGS12, which didn't cost a lot more.....

Complete thread: Wadkin BGS 10 restoration and modifications - Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement Forum

Another thread I started on OWWM Wadkin BGS (10) restoration and modifications - Old Woodworking Machines

Last edited:
Thanks Wallace, that’s really interesting stuff. The info is for the BGS12, the big brother of BGS10, the saw that we are restoring. The table sliding mechanism is totally different to the BGS10.

Hi Miles,
thanks for sharing your thread, really interesting. I’d love to see how your modification turned out. When I had one for myself as my everyday saw I tapped a couple of holes on the underside of the sliding table and fitted a wood extension that was rebated to allow it to pop up flush with the table. This gave me a sacricial wooden edge that I could cut to make it zero clearance on the slider side.

The slider on this saw is virtually nibble free. I think I’m going to put it on the mill just to straighten it fully up.

Wow, the price difference between an AGS and a BGS10 was huge, you could almost buy two AGS10‘s for the price of a BGS! No wonder they didn’t sell too many of them!

Hi Miles,
thanks for sharing your thread, really interesting. I’d love to see how your modification turned out...................
I haven't progressed much beyond the end of those two threads yet....... You've inspired me to get on with it again, though :) Should I post my progress here or would you prefer I start my own thread? My 3D model of the BGS is slowly getting there, too.

Wow, the price difference between an AGS and a BGS10 was huge, you could almost buy two AGS10‘s for the price of a BGS! No wonder they didn’t sell too many of them!
Indeed! And not that much cheaper than the BGS12 when it came out (1962?) I see that the price of the BGS12 went up by much more than inflation between 1964 and 1971 though.... :)
1964 prices
Wadkin 10" AGS (3ph.) £115.00
Wadkin 12" AGS (3ph.) £164.00
Wadkin 10" BGS (3ph.) £214.00
Wadkin 12" BGS (3ph.) £252.00

1971 prices
Wadkin 10" AGS (3ph.) £173.00
Wadkin 12" AGS (3ph.) £232.00
Wadkin 10" BGS (3ph.) N.A.
Wadkin 12" BGS (3ph.) £433.00

Cracking stuff. Heres some stuff I found in my stash.
..........................................................................................................

TMPLYUT.jpg
Interesting that in Fig. 6 they used an illustration of the BGS10 !!

Latest posts

Back