Wadkin BAOS 12 Wiring advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.Webster84

Reaction score
Hello there im hoping for a bit of advice for my father who has just bought the Wadkin BAOS 12 Planer/Thicknesser.
The machine is 3 phase and on removing the cover below the switch there is a domino block with 3 Blacks and 1 Earth(yellow/green).
We have 3 phase in the new workshop but the colours in the wall socket are different to the ones in the machine, i understand (from reading on google) the brown black and grey are the L's,and the Blue the N. My question is can i not connect the N in the plug and connect only the 3 L (Brown,Black and Grey) and the earth then run to the machine and connect there ?

I understand the motor may run the wrong way if the L2 and L3 are wrong ? Will this damage the motor and can we simply swap over if this does happen ? , and one final question what is the reccomended wire size and fuse this machine should be run on ?

Many thanks for your time

If the machine only needs 3 x L then that is all you need connect (and the earth naturally)

Yes swapping any two phases will reverse the motor.

Having just been working on a single phase version of this machine a couple of weeks back for another forum member, I can tell you the running the motor in reverse will cause the belt to fly off but the good news is that it is trivial to refit. No harm will be done to the motor.

The fuses are there to protect the cable not the machine! so match the fuses to the cable typically 3 x 16amp and 2.5mm cable should be OK.

Bob

You can wire the L's anyway it will either not run or run in reverse, just swap untill correct. I dont know what breaker to use, I would of thought 16a. Someone with far more knowledge than me will be along shortly. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Mark

Out of interest how much did you pay for the machine,

hoping to put mine up for sale sooon.

can get a picture of the wiring in ours if you wish?

Thanks for all the replies, Bradshaw joinery i'm not sure how much the planer was as it was my father who bought it, a picture of your wiring would help for reference if needed . I will PM my email adress now thank you

Latest posts

Back