Wadkin bao problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 12" 3 phase wadkin bao that I run off a transwave converter. It's been running fine then today I went to start it, it tried to start up then went dead. I tried to start again and it's completely dead, I looked at the switches and wire connections and nothing seems to be wrong. I took the panel off the side and knocked the motor a bit. Tried again and now it hums as if trying to start but the motor just won't start. I've tried manually spinning the cutter block while trying to start it but still nothing. As I understand it being a 3 phase motor it won't have start capacitors so wondered if anyone had any other ideas what it could be? Or anyone in the Leeds area who you'd recommend to look at it
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Josh

I would check the trans wave converter first. Do you have any other 3 phase tool you could test it on?

I'm not the best person to advise on testing the circuits/windings of the motor but others here know much more.

Hi mate
Yeah I've checked the converter and it's running my bandsaw fine, like I say there is definitely power going into the planer and I think through the switch it seems to be a motor issue

How long have you been running it on a Transwave out of curiosity?

Myfordman is the man to know, I'm sure he'll be along shortly to advise :)

I've been running it off a transwave a few months the guy I bought it off was running it off one a few years before that

I'm not sure if it's an urban myth or not but I recall someone who was fairly knowledgeable telling me that running three-phase motors off convertors takes the life of the motor down to a third of what it should be. As I said, I don't know whether that's true or not and I certainly have no expertise in the subject to say otherwise.

Did you try the motor with the belts off?

Hi yes I've heard similar things but transwave seemed pretty confident that wasn't the case

No I haven't tried without the belt on yet, access isn't the best but I'll look to try that I've evening this week, fortunately I have a back up 10" planer
Cheers Josh

Trevanion":rlcdyrkb said:
I'm not sure if it's an urban myth or not but I recall someone who was fairly knowledgeable telling me that running three-phase motors off convertors takes the life of the motor down to a third of what it should be. As I said, I don't know whether that's true or not and I certainly have no expertise in the subject to say otherwise.

Did you try the motor with the belts off?

I thought it was the torque that was reduced rather than the lifetime, but I'm no expert.

I was always told running via a static converter reduces the hp of the motor by a third. I would tend to agree with that because if I'm using the RAS it can sometimes bog down but If I run another 3 phase machine at the same time as the RAS the power is much increased. Running another machine improves the 3 phase supply a bit like a rotary converter

So I've had a quick look at the planer again today. There are two belts that drive the cutter block. One was already loose off the wheels but still intact ( im a bit confused as to how this is possible) the other I'm struggling to remove, there is a tensioning knob but not enough slack in the belt to remove it from the wheels. When I try to start the machine the belt moves slightly (a few mm) before giving up does this give any clues?

Back