Wadkin AGS 10 saw restore help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update, managed to get the motor off and onto my foot... after some merry words reckon its not brokem, the motor that is. Ok so looking at the belt inside,, only one belt was on and bearly at that, and its apparant that i need 3. So the existing belt that was on there is a made in uk optibelt-vb z622 LD / 10x600 Li 24
Also has a 4040 going horizontally in very small writing elsewhere on the belt.

So looking around to buy, i cant find that belt and apprently according to dave = angle , stiffness , radial and other stuff is important.
Anyway german ebay seem to have them for sale... i would rather source a uk place.

Hi John,

You will need an spz 10x8 profile. The length will depend on the motor size and the distance between the two pulleys but from the number above it looks like a spz612 will be close. Longer than the ones in mine but you have a single phase motor which will probably have a bigger frame size.

SPZ612 Major Brand SPZ-Section V-Belt Simply Bearings Ltd

Best to measure the outside length of the existing belt and compare. There is some adjustment in the motor mounting to account for stretch etc.

Dave

Hi John,

Scrap my last reply. I had to look through old email receipts from the time to find the belt and looked at the wrong one.

The belt profile was z not spz.

The belts I bought for the Wadkin were z21.5 (10x546Li).

I still think your belts are longer bu the number you found.

I got mine from BearingsRus.co.uk. less than £2 each.

Dave

Slight update managed to get the top cast iron off. Really really tight spaced bolts Right in the corners. Couldnt get a socket to fit over the top. 15mm bolts for ref. Anyway ordered crowfoot set of spanners. Top tip even the correct sized spanner couldn't fit into the space around the corner so had to try a bigger crows foot think 17 and used the pincher front jaws to try turn the nut. This worked omce loose could get the off with fingers.

When I put stuff back together I can't afford for these to rust seize. Blow torch in a confined space doesn't bare thinking about. I have a light lithium Granville grease would this be OK. Read somewhere copper grease is bad for cast iron stuff.

More rust needs cleaning up but yeah finally access to the insides.

Attachments

• 37188CD2-0998-46F0-95E3-03333EB83932.jpeg
    37188CD2-0998-46F0-95E3-03333EB83932.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 09E6CB42-4F79-4C00-8952-EE9A2BDC6AD6.jpeg
    09E6CB42-4F79-4C00-8952-EE9A2BDC6AD6.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2C47B1BC-ACEE-4D69-9E44-3BA63542283F.jpeg
    2C47B1BC-ACEE-4D69-9E44-3BA63542283F.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 22
Does anybody know where to find shim washers 22mm outside diameter. 10mm inner and 1mm thick. Or 0.8mm to be exact. I tried working the measurements in imperial but they don't translate to 3/8 8️⃣Wentworth shim washer etc.

So just putting it out there as need 3 for the table cast iron before fitting it back on.

yeah might have to buy some, they just a bit thicker than i would like , might put them on a sander get the thichness down a bit.

i found some stainless steel ones but the guy in the shop reckoned against putting them on as well as zinc coated , as cast iron due to corrasion electrical differential something like that.

Last edited:
Update, managed to get the motor off and onto my foot... after some merry words reckon its not brokem, the motor that is. Ok so looking at the belt inside,, only one belt was on and bearly at that, and its apparant that i need 3. So the existing belt that was on there is a made in uk optibelt-vb z622 LD / 10x600 Li 24
Also has a 4040 going horizontally in very small writing elsewhere on the belt.

So looking around to buy, i cant find that belt and apprently according to dave = angle , stiffness , radial and other stuff is important.
Anyway german ebay seem to have them for sale... i would rather source a uk place.

i ordered some dunlop white flash belts z24 10x610 li635 Lp and 59053 on them, they are a bit longer then the orginals but seem like they will fit. (these belts were cheap £1.80 around there.

hi guys ,, i have left this project for a bit and back on it, due to covid isolation. i have actually also been removing as much rust a possible off all the small part on the inside of the saw. The top cast iron table was removed had to invest in some crows feet spanners and had to use a size up with just the pinchers if that make sence to remove the screw from underneath. This tip is gold and should help someone else out in similar situation.

Ok so my problem now is that the fence is badly rusted to the point of me nearly giving up. i say nearly i havnt yet. But i I need some help please.

The fence fits onto 2 large cast iron bars. I cant take this fence appart. There are 3 large screw on the top which i have removed however the end clamp still appears to be attached to the main leaver clamp by means of some kinda bar going between the fence. I spoke with dave and he said to remove the screw using a screw driver on just under the leaver release of the fance. This appears impossible because of the rust.

Basically i need help trying to take this fence appart please help.

Latest posts

Back