Wadkin AGS 10 Rise/Fall Worm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonist9

Reaction score
I’m restoring a 1958/9 AGS 10 Wadkin Bursgreen Table saw and have a problem with the rise fall worm.

11_14_54.jpg

Over the years as may be expected, the pivot has seized and regardless some previous user or owner forced the rise again and again.

Until the result is well ....
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_38.jpg
...As you can see – not entirely usable.

I am located in Melbourne Australia and the only place I can find a replacement is the “genuine” part from AMS. At 194 UKP, is roughly 370 Aus Dollars.

I paid 200 Aus for the saw a month ago (without a fence or miter - Incra maybe??) and the wee beastie had a 3Ph 5HP motor mounted on a modified plate and the folks were cutting aluminium with it. Plenty of rust etc, but the only non usable part was this worm.

I am wondering if any here would know of an alternative to this worm, or if you have this part drawing or spec available so I could machine locally?

I promise to post pictures of the rebuild :)

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_38.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_38.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 58
  • 11_14_54.jpg
    11_14_54.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 57
First thought: Scott and Sargeant, but you will have to remortgage your front teeth to pay them.
Better, there used to be a metal lathe/mill crowd in Kent, D and G or something like that they called themselves. They 'broke' machines as well and were useful, provided they had a saw like yours at the time of enquiry. They advertised in M.E.W. constantly.
Third, are you sure this won't work? From memory, mine was fairly 'sharp'on the thread crest too, but it still cranked. Wil check photos tonight at home.

Sam

P.S. Axminster have a bandsaw "upgrade" fence that WILL fit on the AGS (like a Beismeyer) provided you replace the front bar rails with box section steel.

Back