Wadkin 12" BRT.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just picked up a Wadkin 12" BRT ( pretty much the same as an AGS), after a clean up it has come up a treat but I have a few questions; The pointer on the fence is missing so was wondering if anybody would kindly take a photo of theirs so I could hopefully make one.
The other thing is that the insert in the top is made out of plastic and looks a bit naff, should this be aluminium? if so where can I get one, there are a few other bits that I need so a parts source would be handy.
Any help would be great, Thanks, Merlin

I've got a 10BRT - basically an AGS that included a sliding table(currently not fitted).

Here are pictures of the insert and pointer on the fence. If the fence is similar on your saw I can take off the pointer and measure and do more photos.

As for the insert, it is aluminium. Although mine is a 10" saw it will take a 12" blade (along with riving knife and guard) - the only problem being that I can't lower the blade fully below the table. I have occasionally seen the inserts on Ebay, and I vaguely recollect Daltons having them for spares (but not cheap!). For 'normal' 90 degree cutting I use home made zero clearance inserts.

Let me know if you want more photos and/or measurements.

ts102.JPG

ts101.JPG

ts103.JPG

Misterfish

Hello misterfish,
Thanks for the reply very helpful indeed, if you could let me have a few measurements and photos it would be most useful.
I will try Daltons tomorrow but like you say will be silly money! - good idea with a zero clearence insert for 90 degree cutting.
Thanks again, Merlin

First the thickness marker.
The rod is 8mm diameter and 24.3mm long with (apparently) a screwthread into the end assembly with the lens and horizontal line. The lens holding assembly is 50mm x 30mm x 6mm. The lens sits in an 18mm diameter hole with a 22mm diameter rebate. The lens magnifies the scale a small amount.

ts201.JPG

ts202.JPG

ts203.JPG

ts204.JPG

The table insert is 8.8cm x 40.5cm with the blade/riving knife slot 8mm wide. If you confirm yours is the same size I can take more detailed measurements, but I assume the bigger saw will take a larger insert. Let me know what you want.

ts205.JPG

ts206.JPG

Misterfish

That has helped a lot, I have cut and tapped a thread into an old screwdriver shaft tonight and will cut a piece of 6mm plate tomorrow.
I spoke to Wayne at Daltons today and have to tell him the size I need tomorrow which is the same as yours - They keep one in stock and I hope it is the one I need - hope it is not to much!
Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks very much, Merlin.

I think if I didn't have the insert I would just make replacements out of ply. I originally made a template out of thin ply and use this with the router to make disposable inserts out of 18mm birch ply as and when I need them. (I seem to remember that when I saw a supplier offering an original new insert it was about £140!)

Insert table screwed to the side of the outfeed table so I don't lose it!
insert1.jpg

Current crop of inserts.
insert2.jpg

insert3.jpg

These are basic ones with the necessary hollows routed to fit on the flanges and also clear the arbor assembly when fully raised. It would be simple to add levelling screws, but I haven't needed to (so far).

PM me if you want a copy or sample.

Misterfish

IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG

A big thanks to Misterfish for sending me the details of the pointer, not a big feat of engineering but I was pleased with the end result.
Thanks also for sending me the plywood finger plate - a perfect fit and as the new one was £140.00 + a big help.
It is always good to know that there are some good people still out there that help others for no reward.

Cheers, Merlin.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0320.JPG