Wadkin 10" AGS rip fence maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael White

Reaction score
Hello!

First time poster here.

I've recently purchased a Wadkin 10" AGS table saw, the model with the rails at the front and back for the rip saw (see image).

The fence is wobbly with maybe 1-5 degrees play off of 90. I have tried changing the tension of the rod, and i've adjusted the locking cam, but the only times it ever stops it wobbling is when it permanently locks it!

Has anyone got any advice? I've not seen any other posts about this specific problem.

Thanks!

0AE656F9-C3C6-417E-9ABD-52D60EDA9B0D.JPG

Attachments

• 0AE656F9-C3C6-417E-9ABD-52D60EDA9B0D.JPG
    0AE656F9-C3C6-417E-9ABD-52D60EDA9B0D.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 207
They are loose until they are locked down. The fence angle is adjusted by loosening the bolts (4) on top of the fence (usually only one end needed, 2) and adjusting the angle, then retighten. Move the fence back and forth, lock it and check adjustment. Be prepared for a lot of fiddling around, they can be absolute pigs to adjust! You need a really good measurement system, preferably a clock to get it right. People do use the slots to set up the fence, but from experience the slots need to be set to the blade, and this often isn’t the case.
The most important thing to do is ensure you check it after moving it away from the blade, and not towards it. Any backlash/ hysteresis will show up and you definitely don’t want the fence cantered towards the blade.

As Deema said, the fence has play until the lever is locked down, then it should hold front and back. When received mine did not clamp the rear bar when locked and I had to adjust the tension rod. My fence was also not the straightest thing nor perpendicular to the table in places so I fitted a sacrificial wood fence on top and shimmed to straight and perpendicular.

Fitz.

Thanks for the advice. I've had more of a play with it today, and i have it so it is parallel with the blade. but now its jamming up every time i try to move it, this is because of the wobble (and maybe the wax i added). I will fully clean the rails tomorrow and try and get my hands on some dry ptfe lube to see if it helps.

There are normally two reasons for them to jam up
1. The bars are bent.....often the case! Check them carefully.
2. Wear, often you can slacken off the two cap screw bolts and retighten them whilst pulling up in the bars. There is a small amount of move to achievable.

If all else fails, you can carefully file a small amount off the bottom of the fence. It’s just a fabrication, and the bottom has two edges that are very narrow.

Thanks Deema!

When you say bars, do you mean the rails the fence slides on?

I will look into these suggestions today!

Thanks again for the tips!

Update: It's all sorted now! Proper clean and a good bit of dry PTFE lubricant. Then the adjustments to account for wear (thanks Deema) and it slides like a new! put on a sacrificial wood fence that stops just after the peak of the blade to keep it as safe as possible.

Back