Wadkin 10" AGS and BAOS 12"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpps

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 10" AGS yesterday for my new workshop and also scored a BAOS 12" planer thicknesser for £200 too. The guy said he needthe space and had never used it since buying it. So after a 200 mile round trip to collect both machines - the saw from Liverpool and the thicknesser from Nottingham - I'm now the owner of my first Wadkins.

They'll both be getting an overhaul and rebuilt as I had to take them apart anyway to get them from my trailer into my new workshop.

One thing I did notice though is that the tilt arbour goes the opposite way to any of the other tablesaws I've owned, being that the blade tilts to the right, toward the fence. Is there a reason for this and does it take a bit of getting used too?

Attachments

• 20220502_144517.jpg
    20220502_144517.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 20
Nice score on both counts - congrats.

I believe its only more recently that saws were made so that they tilt to the left from the operator's perspective, possibly driven by safety i.e. cut-offs don't get stuck between the blade and fence. I had one that tilted to the right, I just moved the fence to the other side of the blade if I was doing an angle cut which wasn't too often or much of a hassle.

I'm not progressing with this as quickly as I'd hoped do to one thing and another, but here's how it stands currently. All parts have been removed, cleaned, checked and painted. The top is ready to go back on too, but not got round to it yet.

Attachments

• 20220605_165343.jpg
    20220605_165343.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220605_165351.jpg
    20220605_165351.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm not progressing with this as quickly as I'd hoped do to one thing and another, but here's how it stands currently. All parts have been removed, cleaned, checked and painted. The top is ready to go back on too, but not got round to it yet.
Looks great! I'm painting mine white inside as well. Wasn't sure about the choice at first, but really like it as I can actually see what is going on with everything in there. haha That deep blue looks really good as well (mine will be dark grey). Definitely post more pics!

After feeling like death warmed up all week and not having the energy to do any after work projects, I finally spent a couple of hours in the workshop today and got the AGS finished off and running. I even treated it to a new blade.

Truth be told, I've got some cabinets to make next week for the kitchen job I'm currently doing, so I needed to pull my finger out and get it done.

Theres still everything else to do that you need to do when you move into a new workshop, like make a work bench, but at least I've got a decent table saw now.

Attachments

• 20220618_180604-01.jpeg
    20220618_180604-01.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220618_173114-01.jpeg
    20220618_173114-01.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220618_180631-01.jpeg
    20220618_180631-01.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220618_180803-01.jpeg
    20220618_180803-01.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
I Love old cast iron machinery. I never bother doing a full refurb and paint job. I just use it as I get it, but that looks fantastic. You really have done a superb job on the saw. Can an old bit of cast iron look beautiful?? I think so. It must be a pleasure to use. :)

Today was my first day of using the saw for actual propper work and I have to say how nice it was compared to the cheap flimsy jobsite saw I've been using until now. It cuts so smoothly and effortlessly and doesn't make nearly as much noise as the cheapo.

My only gripe is the stop switch location, which I put back where it was before the refurb. It's too low and also requires you to take your eyes off what your pushing hand is doing to see where it is. I'd prefer it to be higher and on the left so I can reach it easily. I've seen some small switches mounted under the bed, but can't find anything like them in 3 phase.

Whats everyone else using?

...I've seen some small switches mounted under the bed, but can't find anything like them in 3 phase...

If your machine has a DOL starter, only one phase will be used to active the coil, and therefore a single phase kill switch can be connected in series with the existing Off push button.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back