Wabeco drill stand!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhilM":2qx6rp43 said:
I have one, and very good it is too.
I ordered it direct from the manufacturer:
https://www.wabeco-remscheid.de/
Their website has an English translation option.
Hi PhilM,
From the Wabeco line, which drill stand do you have? I'm seriously considering buying the BF1243 over buying a more basic pillar drill. What is your opinion on the one you have? Does it replace a pillar drill for woodworking? I'm also looking at some of the acessories wabeco has and with another 50-70 pounds you can also turn it into a very small lathe. As I work in a 10x8 feet workshop the versatility of this particular model really apeals to me, but I still haven't pull the trigger because I've read a couple of mixed reviews regarding the precision/stability of the stand and it is very hard to find information/feedback about it.
Looking forward to hear your opinion!
Cheers

I'm not PhilM, but I bought a Wabeco B1230 drill stand for use with my Dewalt corded drill. After testing five drill stands (which means buying, testing, and junking), I stopped with the Wabeco B1230. It was the best drill stand for my field use and the solid 35mm diameter pillar made it the sturdiest.

The kit I bought came with a clamping attachment and a machine vise, but the vice was rubbish and I gave it away. Unless you want the vice, save your money and buy the less expensive B1230 that doesn't come with a vise. I also bought the Taping Attachement. This was very useful since I had lots of drilling and taping in 5mm aluminium and steel plates.

To make carrying the kit around a bit easier, I put everything in a Bosch (Sortimo) L-Boxx. I had to have about 30mm of the column cut off at a machine shop so it would fit diagonally in the L-Boxx.

I don't have any images of the drill stand in use, but after clamping the drill in place, I plugged it into a switched power strip and plugged the outlet strip into the wall. I put the small Bessey clamp over the trigger and adjusted the clamp until the drill was at the correct speed. I controlled the power to the drill with the switched power strip.

Prior to this setup, I carried a cheap (quality and price) tabletop drill press for my field work. The drill press was bulky and heavy, and very sloppy. Since I always had my corded Dewalt drill on the job sites, it made better sense for me to use the Wabeco. My back appreciated the change as well.

I have since sold all of my field lock installation kit and don't have the Wabeco. However, if I still had a drill with the 40mm collar, I would definitely buy the B1230 again.

Hi MikeK,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your drill stand. It looks to be a great compact solution with good construction quality! I´m looking at the BF 1230 (https://tinyurl.com/y37s24hk) and the BF1243 (https://tinyurl.com/y59b878y) . Both models seem to be made to the same quality standart, but the BF 1243 looks to be more robust weighing almost 17 kg.

The BF1243 is the model I´m leaning towards at the moment. It is a bit different as it have more functions and 500mm of travel on the Z axis (vertical) and 325mm on the Y axis (horizontal). It is described as a drilling/milling stand on the Wabeco website, as you can do some milling on it if you add an XY table to your setup. I would love to have this capability (more out of curiosity then anything else), but I believe that hand drills don´t deal well with radial forces. But overall it looks to be a quite strong, versatile and well made drill stand and I´m hoping that this stand is more precise/sturdy then a cheap Pillar Drill. My budget for this particular tool is around 250 euros max and the machines I´m considering as alternatives have a lot of mixed reviews (Axminster craft models and Record Power, both bench top versions). Unfortunately I cannot opt for the used machine route, because as I live in France used machines here are very expensive and rare to come by. I´m also quite interested in the possibility of converting the BF1243 into a small lathe for around 70 extra euros in accessories from Wabeco. As I work in a really small workshop that would allow me to turn small objects like handles/etc and I don´t have space for a real lathe. This a big plus for me, but my main objective is it to be able to drill vertical holes and holes at precise angles with repetability. If this drill stand don´t deliver that (or does it a wobly fashion) maybe the BF1230 is a much cheaper/better option.

I was looking forward to hear feedback from someone that actually use this particular model from the Wabeco range. It looks like a no brainer to me, but I don´t want to end up with a wobly/imprecise drill stand, just because it can be also used as Lathe. The BF1243 is not cheap, costing around 185 euros delivered. So if anyone has feedback on this particular model/range from Wabeco I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

MikeK thanks again for your review!

Lastminute, did you end up ordering a Drill Stand from Wabeco?

Cheers,
Gui

I have the drilling/milling stand BF1240 and recommend it. The BF1243 is the same but with increased vertical/horizontal travel. I've never had a pillar drill but the Wabeco does all I need.
I assume the reviews you mention refer to the drill stand, certainly the BF 1240 range is rock solid and far more versatile than a drill stand or pillar drill.
You will need a good 13mm mains power drill with variable speeds.
There is a good review here:
http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/machines- ... mised.html

Back