W.I.P. - Fretless Bass Guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simo":2nj8gvvx said:
The next step is to radius the fingerboard and shape the neck. I begin by using a hand plane to rough out the radius (20''), and then switch to a sanding block. Radius sanding wide Ebony fretboards can be hard work.. attaching plane handles to the radius block provides a better grip, and helps speed things up.

Next, the threaded inserts are fitted, and I'm then ready to make a start on the shaping process. To begin, the heel, and the area behind the nut are roughly carved out, using a Microplane rasp, and a small Iwasaki carving file. The shaft of the neck is then shaped with a spokeshave, followed by a Shinto saw rasp.

I down tools once I get close to the final thickness, in order complete work on the fingerboard. As shown earlier, the fingerboard has been sanded flat with a radius block, but there's an extra step to ensure a really good setup.

Without getting too technical.. the radius block produces a cylindrical surface, so if you place a straightedge on the center line, it will be flat. However, the width of a neck tapers along it's length, therefore if you tilt the straightedge at a slight angle (to mimic the path of the outer strings), you'll see that there's a high spot in the center. This can potentially cause the outer strings to buzz in the middle of the neck, as if the neck had a slight back bow.

Using a levelling beam, I sand along the paths of the strings (blending in the surface in between them). When completed, each string will have a perfectly flat surface underneath it, along the entire length of the neck.

With the fingerboard now at it's final thickness, I can finish sanding the neck..

Beautiful work Simo, especially the detail on the neck. The neck would be perfect if it didn't have the markers (a personal preference) ;-)

I am seriously tempted to start my own. I need a new 4 string fretted and a 5 string fretless.

Simo":3rc25q9f said:
Without getting too technical.. the radius block produces a cylindrical surface, so if you place a straightedge on the center line, it will be flat. However, the width of a neck tapers along it's length

So you want a cone but the tool generates a cylinder.

On consideration, surely even a cylindrical parallel fretboard would buzz, if bent far enough. Only a flat fretboard has zero buzz.

It's just that, for a tapered fretboard, conical is better than cylindrical (but worse than flat), for buzzing issues.

(factors other than buzz drive fretboard shape of course; guitars are all about compromise)

BugBear

bugbear":h5x61ojn said:
Simo":h5x61ojn said:
Without getting too technical.. the radius block produces a cylindrical surface, so if you place a straightedge on the center line, it will be flat. However, the width of a neck tapers along it's length

On consideration, surely even a cylindrical parallel fretboard would buzz, if bent far enough. Only a flat fretboard has zero buzz.

It's just that, for a tapered fretboard, conical is better than cylindrical (but worse than flat), for buzzing issues.

(factors other than buzz drive fretboard shape of course; guitars are all about compromise)

BugBear

It's not really a cone as such, it's actually a slight hourglass shape. The best explanation I've ever come across, is from Bruce Johnston over on the Talkbass forum: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/even-f ... t-13024842

Simo":2l2siuuu said:
bugbear":2l2siuuu said:
Simo":2l2siuuu said:

BugBear

It's not really a cone as such, it's actually a slight hourglass shape. The best explanation I've ever come across, is from Bruce Johnston over on the Talkbass forum: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/even-f ... t-13024842

Ah - I'd assumed that when using your sanding straightedge, you also used it to "correct" (make proportionate) the radius at the nut; I didn't realise you retained the big radius at the nut.

You're quite right; that certainly won't be a cone. :D

BugBear

Unfortunately, this build was delayed during the summer.. but as last, it's now time to complete the final sanding and finishing work. The last job on the body is to chisel out a shallow recess where the bridge will be placed. This recess will allow the piezo saddle wires to move freely when the saddles are adjusted.

QegrMH.jpg

Then it's time for sanding.. lots of sanding (followed by more sanding).

5qE2TP.jpg

To finish the body I'm using a polyurethane based varnish, which I thin down about 50%, and apply with a cloth.

9b3KRX.jpg

The neck is finished using a varnish/oil blend. It provides less protection than using just varnish, but it provides a superior feeling neck.

4amofy.jpg

In between applying coats of finish, I make a truss rod cover from an offcut of Black Limba. After heating the branding iron up with a small blow torch, I brand a few logos onto the wood, and select the best one to cut and shape into a truss rod cover.

5syvSC.jpg

TUodqz.jpg

As the wood for the cover is fairly thin, I glue on a small brace to help keep it flat. The Maple brace is carved so that it sits inside the truss rod access slot when fitted to the headstock.

glSFfk.jpg

Back to the body.. the varnish has been left over a week to dry fully, and can now be rubbed out using some 0000 wire wool. I use a product called Wool Lube to lubricate the wire wood. I like to mix it with a little water and apply a small amount from a bottle as needed. Lubricating the wire wool makes a big difference, and gives a much smoother finish compared to using it dry.

ClgHkr.jpg

Finally, I apply a coat of Renaissance Wax to the body.

CerVrZ.jpg

f9AWd0.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but really enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing!

Beautiful work.

This is beautiful work Simo. Being fretless, I suppose it could be used for playing Quarter-tone music! It's a pity you don't make six string guitars though (Or probably you can?) I am saving my pennies for a short-scale Gibson Byrdland, and it appears it might be less expensive, and a better option anyway, to have one built.

All the best.

John

I built a fretless guitar, I also left off 5 strings.

fully electrified.
one string guiter.jpg

Attachments

• one string guiter.jpg
    one string guiter.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 766
Benchwayze":2cp5wia5 said:
This is beautiful work Simo. Being fretless, I suppose it could be used for playing Quarter-tone music! It's a pity you don't make six string guitars though (Or probably you can?) I am saving my pennies for a short-scale Gibson Byrdland, and it appears it might be less expensive, and a better option anyway, to have one built.

All the best.

John

Thanks. I do build 6 string guitars occasionally.. I'm actually a guitarist myself, I just find designing basses more interesting. Here's a guitar I built last year for a friend of mine, in memory of his daughter: https://youtu.be/j3DHFLVXNDI

It occurred to me that I never posted any photos of the finished bass, so here's a few..

7YkjWg.jpg

pgJ4Ok.jpg

t4FxPl.jpg

WQXAoc.jpg

MxQmG7.jpg

minotauruk":1oeabp9y said:
Just stunning work, a real craft!! How many hours were involved in making this ?

Thanks. I honestly have no idea how many hours I spent on this one, I never count. The woodwork on a solid body guitar is fairly straight forward and quick to do, it's the detail work such as fine sanding, fretting (not an issue on this one!), setup, etc, that can really eat up the hours.

I am a bit old now to switch to Bass, but if I ever needed bass guitar (Which I can play in a basic fashion; but no Fred Thelonius Baker!) I couldn't ask for much better than that!

Thanks Simmo
John :)

Absolutely stunning. As a long time guitarist and aspiring luthier I'm following this with great interest!

Back