Volunteers Needed - Teaching basic woodwork skills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToolsShed

Reaction score
Dear Woodworkers

I’m from a charity that runs a programme with prisons to repair old and broken garden tools which are then given away free to local schools and community groups.

Much of the time the prisons have staff with experience in woodwork who run the workshops with the prisoners, but some prisons don’t.

We’re looking for volunteers with woodwork experience that could spare some time to teach basic wood work skills for repairing and refurbishing garden tools. Some tools merely need sanding down and a coat of varnish, others need handles replacing and such.

Expenses would be paid and we would not ask for more than a day a week. Some prisons just need someone to train their staff, others need someone who could teach the prisoners. We currently need volunteers in West London and Somerset, but new prisons are coming on board around the UK so we’d be interested in hearing from anyone that might be able to help.

If you might be interested we’d love to hear from you – reply here and I can send a message with details.

James

Hi James.

That sounds like a worthy cause. I fear though that you'll be out of luck with your request but I'd like to be proved wrong. Most of the guys here are like me ie.. working full time with busy social lives and do a bit of essential woodwork like home repairs when they get a chance. There are some pros here, but they would (almost certainly) be unable to donate their time for expenses only. Some of the chaps are retired, and I don't think prisons sound attractive enough to lure them out of their well deserved 'slower-pace-of-life'.

As I said, I'd like to be proved wrong, and welcome to the forum.

PS. I hope I haven't offended anyone by my 'generalising'.

Roy

Hi James,

I think it is a great idea and I would be interested in doing this however I am from Swansea so I am not in your target area.

I am a full time student in university but I am a keen wood worker and actually work part time in a joinery company, so I think I fit the bill (do to speak).

If you could give me some more information then that would be great!

Thanks

Adam

doorframe":snojr9tw said:
Hi James.

That sounds like a worthy cause. I fear though that you'll be out of luck with your request but I'd like to be proved wrong. Most of the guys here are like me ie.. working full time with busy social lives and do a bit of essential woodwork like home repairs when they get a chance. There are some pros here, but they would (almost certainly) be unable to donate their time for expenses only. Some of the chaps are retired, and I don't think prisons sound attractive enough to lure them out of their well deserved 'slower-pace-of-life'.

Roy
Roy has a good point. It is a worthy cause and I wish you luck with the venture, but having paid a visit to a high security prison some years ago with the prospect of starting a woodwork evening course there and seeing the conditions inside, I don't think you'll get many offers... I'd like to be proved wrong. Having seen what the inmates were like and the conditions that my prospective course would have had to run under, I very rapidly declined and was extremely glad to get out into the fresh air - Rob

Hi James,
I'm in London & would like to help.
I might need some teaching on how to teach & some clever carpentery stuff, but can sand like a good 'un! :).
how do I contact you?
cheers!

I would be interested in helping out in the future Im in North east Lincolnshire

Morning Woodworkers

Thanks for the replys. I can receive but not reply to private messages as I’m too new on the forum, and using the forum’s Send An Email feature doesn’t seem to work as I tried to email you when you first replied Chas. I’ve also emailed Ash and Adam.

Could you send an email to james AT conservationfoundation DOT co DOT uk

I should have more luck in getting back to you then

hi mate sounds like a really good cause , dont worry you will get some snobbery on here (almost certainly ) :evil: but dont be put off as some guys have mentioned they seem up for it , i in chesterfield derbyshire so not sure which is nearest prison to me and i dont drive but would be interested if i able to get to the place.

woodbloke":bypht8ap said:
...... having paid a visit to a high security prison some years ago with the prospect of starting a woodwork evening course there and seeing the conditions inside, I don't think you'll get many offers... I'd like to be proved wrong. Having seen what the inmates were like and the conditions that my prospective course would have had to run under, I very rapidly declined and was extremely glad to get out into the fresh air - Rob
:roll:
You will be proved to be wrong.
Have you tried the Women's Institute? You get a much nicer class of client there, so I'm told.

no dont have to just the general tone on here sometimes is a bit like that , thats my gut reaction to some of the posts ive seen , negative sometimes , patronising , sarcastic comments, that enough for you ?

mac1012":37z9ulti said:
no dont have to just the general tone on here sometimes is a bit like that , thats my gut reaction to some of the posts ive seen , negative sometimes , patronising , sarcastic comments, that enough for you ?

Perhaps you should look at your own post.

Roy

yeah well sometimes the truth hurts you know , mine was a generalisation of comments i have seen on here before , sometimes in the tone of "just being helpful" when it isnt really helpfull or positive there is some good guys on here but some i have little time for, but hey ho its a free country (i think )

doorframe":mak1wd7j said:
Hi James.

Roy

well having thought about what you you wrote then yes i guess you did offend me with your generalisations that people have "to busy social lives " to get involved ? how do you know that people would not be prepared to give up their time ? or that unless someone got more than expenses they wouldnt want to do it ? because they are proffesionals ? or that prisons would not be attractive enough for someone to get involved ? surely attraction would not be a chief motivator for someone who wants to give up their time for a worthy cause ? so yes your generalisations did offend me as i think it is wrong to think that most people on here would be thinking the same way as you are on this kind of subject.

Mac, if you have the skills, and are able and willing to help, then go for it and stop calling people patronising, negative, sarcastic and snobs. And if you are going to quote, please get it right.

I said... "working full time with busy social lives and do a bit of essential woodwork like home repairs when they get a chance"

NOT simply.... "to busy social lives "

And you talk about generalising. :roll:

Roy

i never directly called you anything ? like i said my opinion of my experiences on here on my own posts and what ive seen on others , but i guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one .

Back