Voltage query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidc1075

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that US power tools operate on 110v. Is it possible to use a 110v transformer for these tools ie the yellow site transformer.

Fundamentally, yes, but with reservations. Portable tools are generally OK, but some tools with electronic speed controllers may run slower/hotter. Static machinery with induction motors will definitely run slower and hotter and the motors will have a reduced life expectancy. This is because a 2-pole induction motor runs at 3000 rpm (2850 rpm in reality) on British 50Hz power as opposed to 3650 rpm (3460 rpm actual) on US 60Hz power, lower speed = less cooling effect from the fan and more heat reduces the lifespan of the insulation on the motor windings. Furthermore cutterblocks/blades may end up running at sub-optimal speeds and either not cut as effectively or stall earlier. Lastly the power of the tool will be reduced, i.e. a 3HP motor (rated on 60Hz) would actually be rated at 2-1/2HP (16% less) on British 50Hz power supplies.

Now I've said that I do run some Porter-Cable power tools via a site transformer, although I'd probably spend the money to buy an inverter to output 120 volts @ 60Hz if I were to run a US-sourced static machine with an induction motor

Scrit

Scrit":qbxiuqgl said:
Static machinery with induction motors will definitely run slower and hotter and the motors will have a reduced life expectancy.

Scrit

Yes, my drum sander definitely runs hotter, but I'm aware of it, and generally don't run it too hard for too long, and it does have a thermal cutout switch. I've been running it for about five years, and my Dad ran it for several years in the States before me. Still going strong. When the motor does give out, I'll just swap in a 240v motor.

No problems at all with routers, etc. even with electronic speed control.

Brad

Latest posts

Back