Voice over Messenger help needed: RESULT; it works.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a Broadband Netgear 834v1 router got Voice over messenger working.

Need help on which incoming ports to forward if any.

Edit: can text messages and file transfer but can't get voice working.

Don't know if it is me or other end.

No definate information from me Chas other than you have a conflict.
Its usually something like NetMeeting has hijacked your settings. Or has you say the other end even. I would put you on has a contact but I am not broadband and I avoid msn like the plague it hijacks my I/E &O/E.

Hi Chas

Not sure about the router side of things, but a couple of other things to check if you haven't already (and sorry if I'm stating the obvious...)

Which version of Messenger are you running? I never had any success with voice conversations until the about six months ago when the system finally seemed to get it right. I think the latest version is 7.5 (and I'm assuming this is MSN Messenger not Windows Messenger).

Also, have you gone through the Audio Setup wizard? This will at least tell you if Messenger is picking up your mic; if you have more than one audio program/mic this can alter the settings so you're using one mic and the computer is trying to use a different one!

If you can chat and send files via Messenger I wouldn't have thought it was a router problem otherwise it would be blocking the program altogether.

Have you tried skype, and does this work?

Again, sorry if I'm asking the obvious but it's always worth a try!

Thanks Terry, one thing you brought to light that had not occurred was wether we were all using the same messenger.

Currently checking. must no assume... must not assume...

EDIT: We are all using Windows Messenger V4.7.3001

And mic & speaker checks ok with wizard from tools menu.

And do either you or your corespondent have any other voice software?
Other software will hijack the mic. (Even Fine Pix (fuji) imaging has voice action) Video software, etc.

Roger Sinden":253t15ox said:
Chas

Did you check out Netgear's support pages?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp seems to help :wink:

Roger

Yes thanks Roger, tried port forwarding, no joy, even opened "all incoming ports" for a brief trial with no results.

Messenger appears to be communicating for text and file transfer both ways via UPnP, with both machines and routers with active UPnP

devonwoody":2yqfqp45 said:
And do either you or your corespondent have any other voice software?
Other software will hijack the mic. (Even Fine Pix (fuji) imaging has voice action) Video software, etc.

Problem is John, machines will not talk to each other as "Voice" just time out with a .....trying to connect to... message

Roger Sinden":30ch1rtc said:
Chas

Did you follow the link to the Microsoft site from the Netgear page?

Checked pther Microsoft support? For example,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/expert/bowman_december24.mspx

Latest firmware in your router?

Roger

Yes thanks Roger, been through that a couple of times.

router is updated to latest firmware.

Currently having to wait 'till evening for further tests.

To crown it all Netgear Router keeps dropping DSL/ISP connection this morning currently using USB voyager 105 which is staying on line for test with ISP with fingers crossed (no firewall)

Will try short test with USB modem tonight to see if messenger communicates voice with that.

John someone from the forum has offered to communicate with me via messenger to try and sort it as an alternate contact.

devonwoody":2ttelmm3 said:
Chas, have you checked out your firewall settings on the control panel, "security"

Yes thanks John, (Running XP by the way) No software firewall loaded.

Was running behind a Linux Smoothwall machine before BB and now use the netgear router/firewall instead.

As said will try with USB modem tonight on another isolated machine to eliminate all Firewall this end without leaving network open to net.

Chas

Another thought. Are you using Zone Alarm or other software firewall? If so then try disabling it (when you're behind your router)...you'll not come to much harm and it might work.

if it does then you need to fiddle around with ZA

Roger

Roger Sinden":ha94xywx said:
Chas

Another thought. Are you using Zone Alarm or other software firewall? If so then try disabling it (when you're behind your router)...you'll not come to much harm and it might work.

if it does then you need to fiddle around with ZA

Roger

Roger, No software firewall at all. Have steered clear of Zone Alarm since it gave me problems playing around with my network, (old pcs with win2000 and 98se mix) hence why I ran a Smoothwall box. Although I liked Za's ability to notify me if anything was trying to get out.

Research going on other end to see if somewhere on the route is blocking voice.

Result:

Thanks to Ray Girling, (Argee) for helping me prove my system.

My configuration of port forwarding worked Ok in the UK first time.
So "It's Not Me" \:D/

May have a couple of ports to many or TCP/UDP overkill but that can wait until we get voice established elsewhere.

Bottom line:

Text and File transfer worked with just UPnP.
Voice needed Ports. (I turned them off and lost Ray on Voice)

Just an update to this saga in case it is of help to others tearing their hair out.

Voice over Messenger worked OK in UK.

Voice over Messenger worked OK in Germany.

Voice over Messenger between UK and Germany is a no go for us.

However Video over Messenger works fine, even if you disconnect video input, sound still functions clearer than the telephone lines.

Suspicion is that as one of the telcos involved is selling VOIP Phones there is a spanner in the works somewhere.

Latest posts

Back