Vitamin C

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very profound suspicion of enthusiasts, whether it's devotees of UFOs, second comings or what ever. That includes many supposed 'health foods' etc.
As I stated here earlier I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and in reading up on the subject I came across a report in the Lancet about Vitamin C and blood pressure et al.
As it was in the Lancet I thought I'd give it a go, this was a week before I started and medication for BP.
At this point I am not going to say what the results of taking the Vitamin have been, but simply ask, does anyone else take it?

Roy.

I go through phases of eating badly with little fruit or veg so I do take vitamin C and a multi vitamin. I realize you only need a certain amount of the vitamin to stave of scurvy and not the mega amounts touted for colds.

I really have no idea if they actually do any good or are needed as a supplement but I am still alive but still get several colds a year whether I take it or not.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, a lot of reports on this sort of thing are, as I suggested, by devotees who seem to think that supplements are the answer to the Maidens Prayer.
I can't find the original Lancet report but there is a summary here.....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... NyCrDiUfOA

The BP medication has definitely helped as I am no longer short of breath, but I started on the Vitamin C a week before the BP medication. I noticed changes within 2 days.
All the aches and pains of old age have gone, whereas I needed the arms of a chair to help me stand, I now stand straight up. I no longer need to grasp the door of my car to get in and out, same when working on the ****** motor bike that's driving me nuts! My neck movement was restricted due to pain, no longer.
Placebo effect? Maybe, who cares?

Roy.

SWIMBO puts a cod-liver oil capsule and a glass of water, next to my breakfast every day. I feel duty bound to consume the capsule. I can't see what it does; or maybe it's the water that keeps me going!

What I have found though is that Glucosamine with Chondroitin tablets have eased the pain of arthritis a lot. But again, it could be placebo effect. Who knows?

John

My understanding is this:

a good balanced diet will provide the average person with all the vitamins, minerals and trace elements that their body requires.

However

some people cannot metabolise some of the above properly...for example, vitamin B...and so they need a supplement to boost the input to the point where the 'normal' levels have been reached.

I had a genetic/nutrition test done several years ago that highlighted my poor vitamin B absorption...also gives rise to enlarged platelets IIRC. So now I take vitamin B and folic acid supplement and as a by-product reduced my blood pressure to normal.

That's how I understand it as well, so it would seem that my diet is defficient in Vitamin C.

Roy.

Digit":3e6j3q1r said:
That's how I understand it as well, so it would seem that my diet is defficient in Vitamin C.

Roy.

So when we thought you'd been sucking a lemon that was, well, just your normal expression ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come off it! I'm tall, dark, and handsome! (in my dreams!)

Roy.

Google Says

'Did you mean... Tall and handsome in the dark?'

:)

BTW I've just been diagnosed as having high blood pressure, on tablets and I've gotta loose four stone. :shock: Wonder if hacking a leg off counts? A vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables much AND being on a diet = no flippin fun. :(

I'm tall at telling stories.
Dark in a macabre kind of way
and handsome when it comes to spending money ! 8)

My idea of a balanced diet is a pork steak in one hand and the same weight of fillet steak in the other.

John :lol:

Digit":1wps0nn2 said:
I have a very profound suspicion of enthusiasts, whether it's devotees of UFOs, second comings or what ever. That includes many supposed 'health foods' etc.
As I stated here earlier I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and in reading up on the subject I came across a report in the Lancet about Vitamin C and blood pressure et al.
As it was in the Lancet I thought I'd give it a go, this was a week before I started and medication for BP.
At this point I am not going to say what the results of taking the Vitamin have been, but simply ask, does anyone else take it?

Roy.
I suffer from high BP :shock: as well Roy. There are loads of things you can do naturally to reduce high BP ( regular exercise being one...get out on the bike and not those things with motors) sensible diet, moderate booze intake etc. I went to see the doc about 15 months ago and it took her about 3 months to sort out a drug regime that brought it down to acceptable levels. In fact, this very morning I've been back to see her 'cos now I'm retired, I'm actually a lot more active than when I was working, so now as I'm suffering from mild dizziness (and it's not the vino colapso, but a similar sort of effect) She's said that it's a classic case of being over-medicated for the condition and as a result she's knocked out on of my tabs. High BP is livable with, but unfortunately, medication doesn't work for every one - Rob

woodbloke":o3qyp9ot said:
suffering from mild dizziness - Rob

That's interesting, I've only been on the Tablets for a week now and I've felt that soon after starting them, might be coincidence or side effects - I dunno?

That's one of the annoying points Woodbloke, I am active! Apart from a cuppa when I sit here I'm on my feet till tea time then again till about 8 pm.

Roy.

Digit":bifd6ugu said:

Roy.

Not necessarily Roy, you may have trouble absorbing it.
I had been suffering mild, but persistant chest pains, quite large variations in pulse rate, feelings of being about to faint, and generally feeling unwell for some time. Twice I have been in hospital with suspected heart attacks, had various tests, and no diagnosis made.
As luck would have it I had a pub lunch with a large glass of pure orange juice. The next day I felt terrific, the only thing I could put it down to was the massive amount of vitamin C, of course it could have been the steak. Having looked up the effects of vitamin C deficiency I found a good match to my symptoms. Since then I have had a small glass of pure orange juice, not made from concentrates, daily and I can report that those particular aches and pains have gone. My doctor was interested. He felt that it was very unlikely that my diet was short in vitamin C and prescribed Ascorbic acid to aid in its absorbtion. I have a blood pressure check due so I will be interested to see the effects of the vitamin C, if any.

xy

studders":iiljxxco said:
woodbloke":iiljxxco said:
suffering from mild dizziness - Rob

That's interesting, I've only been on the Tablets for a week now and I've felt that soon after starting them, might be coincidence or side effects - I dunno?
Studders, that's your carcase getting used to the drugs, it'll pass in about another week. I was signed off work for 3 months whilst the doc found the right dose and I was light headed for most of that time - Rob

quite large variations in pulse rate, feelings of being about to faint, and generally feeling unwell for some time.

That sounds about right xy. That also confirms the rapid improvement in my condition, I found it difficult at first that such a quick result could be acheived.

Studders, common side effect of many drugs, I was warned of it, not happened, also warned that I might feel very warm, yes to that.

Roy.

Digit":3ny1c206 said:
Studders, common side effect of many drugs, I was warned of it, not happened, also warned that I might feel very warm, yes to that.

Roy.
I'm hoping it'll be as WB said and wear off after a bit, finding it a bit 'odd' at times.

Back