Visit to York

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allylearm

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent three days in York, stayed at the Marriot. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed my walk round the city. Some fine old features and some of the shops were a delight. It is good to see small shops in the centres now and the narrow streets and timber frames was great to see retained. The folks seemed friendly and I was never short on someone offering assistance when my wife and I looked lost.

Minus points parking. Though the bus was good every ten minutes or so getting the number 4. The taxis from my Hotel to restaurants was £5-£6. So not unreasonable.

Ally,

York is lovely, but the parking and driving really puts me of. I used to work there, luckily on the right side to home, and he outskirts at that. As you say, for visitors the park and ride and busses are pretty good, and the qwerky little shops make it a nice day out (probably a bit far for that option for you)

Mark

We used to cycle there from Leeds - it had sections of dedicated cycle routes and that was 50 odd years ago!

Rod

Harbo":1yf6qvag said:
We used to cycle there from Leeds - it had sections of dedicated cycle routes and that was 50 odd years ago!

Rod

Rod,

I believe that to be half the problem! :mrgreen:

monkeybiter":l7imi7sm said:
You were brave, IIRC it's still legal to shoot a Scotsman within the walls of York, with a bow.

I did see references to Scots coming down to face Charles I in the museum. Could I recommend some to send !

I too love York, but sadly, it has forgotten its manufacturing past. You won't find any trace of a building of real historical significance to woodworkers - the Ebor Works of Varvill and Sons, source of thousands and thousands of wooden planes and other tools. This view is from across the river:

y_11387

while this one is closer to - it's the large building on the left:

y97_6862_e

Do they still make chocolate there?

Kit Kats and other Rowntrees products don't taste like they used to?

Rod

Harbo":1z1o3468 said:
Do they still make chocolate there?

Kit Kats and other Rowntrees products don't taste like they used to?

Rod

Yes and No.

The Terry's site closed and was 'acquired for redevelopment' in 2007 - it's still vacant.
Rowntree's was taken over by Nestle who do still make some products there, but have demolished some buildings on the site

For those of us that like caravanning/motor homing. I can recommend Rowntree Park (caravan Club Site) a mere 5-10 minute walk to the minster. and adjacent to the river. I think it is closed at the moment for refurbishment. A phone call would confirm. Booking in advance is essential most of the time. Not the cheapest of club sites but well worth a visit and soooooo convenient.
Regards to all
Don

hi what a coincidence me and the better half :lol: where in york for three days over valentines weekend it was our 40th anniversary =D> we stayed in a b & b pricey but a nice place,
we enjoyed york is a great place to wonder a round ,we have been twice now got a great little brewey.

Back