Vise With Adjustable Angle Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a vice with adjustable jaws to clamp string instrument necks--example: guitar / banjo necks. The width of the necks are tapered in width. I do not know the correct name of such a vise. I can hold an instrument neck in a normal straight jaw vise by using small leather pieces to act as a taper, that works OK for a short period of time but does tend to work loose--hence the workpiece will fall. Do you know where I can obtain such a vise?

I wonder if a beanbag would act like a self-forming soft grip in the vice, simple test use a bag of rice in a fabric bag, if it works you could knock up something pretty durable for less than a fiver?

If you already have a good vice with wooden jaw inserts, the classic method was to make a vertical groove centrally in one jaw -- then a block of wood with the rear face sawn into a V cross-section will give you what you want (not fixed in place except by tightening) - that variable angle jaw.

By the way -- anyone buy that Axminster carver's vice --- is it well made??

You can add wooden chops to a parrot vice.
If you make one or both of them convex on the vice jaw side(s) and leave the fixings lose then they can swivel sufficiently to hold an instrument neck quite nicely.
Mine just had the rear chop free to move:

IMG_20210219_102111.jpg
IMG_20210219_102059.jpg

Had a look on the bay for another clone of the stu mac vise (not vice in this case if searching, nothing came up like the stu mac one, searching through a few thousand ebays with vice)
Didn't do a search the same with 'vise' though.
I recall seeing those in green before, so presume they exist somewhere, and might be cheaper.
Might be worth just a google instead for a cheaper alternative for that red one.

At one time I was thinking of making the other ultimate ball vice one which they don't sell anymore.

I wonder why they don't sell it, maybe it was carp.
I can't even find it on a google search now?

Last edited:
I wonder why they don't sell it, maybe it was carp.
I can't even find it on a google search now?
Looking at the locking levers, it would take just a little vibration or knocking to loosen them, and the long leverage of the guitar body would cause it to rotate and crash.

I have a couple of ball-lock vices, even a welding table for positioning for TIG welding; they are great, but everything is balanced around the ball, not cantilever off to one side.

Agreed I have a few Stanley ones myself, one for locking the ball
in each position.
Good value for a fiver, (had some damage) seen they are 45 quid today from the same place and had a right laugh.
They are hacksaw breakers though, and good Bahco blades are expensive.
I can't wait until the wee blue engineers vices from Lidl come back!

On the Stu-mac one, the pipe also moves in a track if I remember correctly, so could be made more sturdy, suppose OK if you aren't carving necks as such, plenty of jigs for that, but doing a bit of final scraping for the heel and that might do the job.
I'd love to see the original prototype all the same.

Guessing you might be onto something, and they got fed up with angry returns.
They were really trying to sell it at one point, and the floor post was made as an afterthought.
Haven't got a magazine from them in years, must have realised that I got fed up with being a sucker :ROFLMAO:

You need an Emmert pattern makers vice or more likely a K1 clone of one; Pattern Maker's Vice

I have a K1 clone fitted to a solid heavy bench and they are possibly the most versatile vice you will ever own. I think I got mine from Fine-Tools (Dieter Schmid's) which is probably identical to the Workshop Heaven model above. Getting hold of an original Emmert (especially a turtle back) is becoming an ever declining reality these days as the cost just keeps climbing. Watch a Youtube video and you'll get the idea. I can't describe the usefulness of it any better than seeing one in action.

Skip to just after seven minutes for the taper function but you need to see the whole operation to understand the versatility of it combined with the taper aspect. They do come up on ebay occasionally but are mostly collections only as they are incredibly heavy.

I'd love a pattern maker's vice, but the one you linked to cost 10x a parrot vice. Also, for many operations it's helpful to have the vice above the bench so the guitar body can rest on the bench while you hold the neck in the vice, or more generally so you can hold stuff a bit higher for fiddly work.

I'd love a pattern maker's vice, but the one you linked to cost 10x a parrot vice. Also, for many operations it's helpful to have the vice above the bench so the guitar body can rest on the bench while you hold the neck in the vice, or more generally so you can hold stuff a bit higher for fiddly work.
To be fair the Emmert K1 clone is 10 times the vice comparative to the parrot and the parrot doesn't taper hence the suggestion of the K1. Also the K1 can be positioned with the jaws above the bench.

Back