Vise advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domingos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm in the process of building my second workbench and I would lime to buy a vice. Can't spend much so I'm trying to choose between these two models

Axminster Trade Vices Plain Screw Vice Guide 390mm

And
Rutlands Woodworking Front Vice - 260mm

My workbench will be 7 feet long so length is important I guess. More than that is building quality but I'm new to this and I don't have any experience with any of the two brands.

Could someone please share their experience and opinion?

Other vises suggestions are also welcome (but money is an issue)

As your workbench is quite large, I would recommend getting the largest vice you can fit ( you can hold small things with a large vice but mot the other way round). No experience of either vice as have always used Record/Parkinson but would definitely recommend getting one with quick release as it just makes it much more user friendly
ian

Do either look like a Record 52 1/2?
Get the biggest vice you can find/afford. Don't be afraid of 2nd hand, these don't wear out quickly, just avoid any thing broken.

Bod

Hi,

No experience of the ones you mentioned, but I suspect that they all come from the same factory. York in the Czech Republic seem to be making for a number of vendors and badge engineered for some upmarket brands. I used one of their LH threaded screws for my wagon vice, very pleased with the quality.

Regards,

Colin

Back