Viruses - you live and learn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I was chatting to my security guru this evening about a couple of emails I'd received saying that the order for the Sony oojamaflip for $799.99 was being billed to my credit card. To check the progress of my order click on the link below.

To my stupidity I did click on the link and got a blank page. I asked my guru what were they trying to achieve by this. Just confirmation that there was a human at the end and therefore a live link?

No....WORST SCENARIO is this. As he explained to me (and I should have known better) ..by clicking on the link you are basically saying to your computer 'trust this source' and so if they have embedded any nasty software in the link/page/whatever then BY CLICKING on the link you have effectively BYPASSED EVERY ANTI-NASTY piece of software that you've installed on your computer.

The moral is clear...DO NOT....I repeat....DO NOT click on these links :oops:

to be honest, unless you just ordered a "Sony oojamaflip for $799.99" then dismiss the emails.

Andy

Or, you could fight back. Make sure that your e-mail client is set to read all file headers. E-mails start with three lines, like this:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Delivery-Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:31:53 +0100
Received: from [IP Address] (helo=hotmail.com)

Download WhoIs? or similar free IP Identifier, copy and paste the IP Address into the window, click "Go" then scroll down to find the relevant abuse e-mail address from the details shown (sometimes there might be more than one). Forward the e-mail to the ISP and require them to deal with it.

It takes a couple of minutes, but I believe it's time well spent.

Ray.

Argee":2m237i7p said:
Or, you could fight back. Make sure that your e-mail client is set to read all file headers. E-mails start with three lines, like this:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Delivery-Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:31:53 +0100
Received: from [IP Address] (helo=hotmail.com)

Download WhoIs? or similar free IP Identifier, copy and paste the IP Address into the window, click "Go" then scroll down to find the relevant abuse e-mail address from the details shown (sometimes there might be more than one). Forward the e-mail to the ISP and require them to deal with it.

It takes a couple of minutes, but I believe it's time well spent.

Ray.

Yes and no. Can't find the link but one organisation maintains a blacklist of ISPs who ignore these abuse warnings or allow mail forwarding which supports spammers. I do remember seeing BT on that list at one time :eek: :eek:

i know what you mean, but if not sure i would ring the credit card company. They should cover this anyway.

I got one of these emails, then another a few minutes later. In the end i bought 20 sets of the same product :?

Andy

Latest posts

Back