virus query again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pest but I got an unsolicited email this morning from a Damian Campisi asking me to register with a tropicalfish forum.
(left of the 3w's tropicalfishchat.net)

The message started with the dreaded "Hi"

Am I right to be suspicious?

DW

I work under the philosophy that if I don't recognise the address its come from then I automatically delete.

I have to say since I have been with Zen i have received no junk mail at all, very impressed.

It's probably as well to be suspicious of any unsolicited email but to stop before paranoia sets in!

Being asked to 're-register' - that is, to supply all of your log-in details for an existing membership to a site or service- is always a no-no, but being asked to join a different site, especially if it is one that you have an interest in, might not be as dodgy as you think.
If you want to join it, play it safe and use an entirely different set of passwords to the ones you would normally use; some people use the same password for everysite they go to, which could potentially be a problem.

Terry Smart":162wku1k said:
It's probably as well to be suspicious of any unsolicited email but to stop before paranoia sets in!

Being asked to 're-register' - that is, to supply all of your log-in details for an existing membership to a site or service- is always a no-no, but being asked to join a different site, especially if it is one that you have an interest in, might not be as dodgy as you think.
If you want to join it, play it safe and use an entirely different set of passwords to the ones you would normally use; some people use the same password for everysite they go to, which could potentially be a problem.

Many times I get a message up at forum sites asking reregistration one example has been the yahoo site.

Sounds difficult, how do you get back to a forum when that crops up?

The difference being, you have gone to the yahoo site and it has asked you for your details - usually just to sign in again, which they do to make sure the right person is accessing the site, not just the next computer user.

Suspicion should only be aroused if you get an email asking you for your details or if the web address you have gone to is wrong.

Hi DW
Are you right to be suspicious? Do you know or have you heard of Damian Campisi, have you heard of the forum , if the answer is no then you are perfectly right to be suspicious. At best its unsolicited marketing at worse the bearer of virii (is that the plural?) As some one else said, if you don't know the sender or can think of no reason why you should have received the mail delete it without opening it.

There are a great many emails going out asking you to confirm your bank account details brom Barclay, LloydsTSB, Halifax etc.
All they want is your name, account number and password to empty your account (if you have one at that bank.

Yup and they even link you back to the real site afterwards.

I looked up the 'home' site for the current lloyds scam and it looks like a kosher site albeit a bit DelBoyish...then you see that their email address is a hotmail account.

Like them to try my username and password that I entered....very Anglo-Saxon

Roger Sinden:

I hope it wasn't an aussie site that you posted those anglo saxon verbals, they most probably thought you were being very polite :D

Latest posts

Back